upgrading from downtube shifters to STI

Hey tarck,

My uncle gave me his old road bike to upgrade for him. It’s an '85 panasonic dx 4000. Looks like this:

So what do you think is the cheapest or most bang for the buck way to do this. I think he is looking at spending $400-$500. I think anymore might just justify buying a new bike. Here’s what I have come up with so far:

1. Find 7 speed Sora shifters, buy 7 speed freewheel
  2. Find used 8 speed 105 sti, buy new derailer?, buy new wheel and cassette to match
  3. Find complete bike with sti, move parts over, sell frame

My uncle is a decent rider, but not so inclined to bicycle maintenance. So I’m trying to find something that won’t need too much fussing. Also, I volunteer at the local bike coop so I have access to frame spacing tools, taps, dies, etc. I was looking at neuvation wheels if I were to go 8 speed and up.

might try tiagra 9 speed. quick search says new brifters for $100 a pair, could probably find them cheaper. you could probably get f/r der for $50.

Dumb questions thread. Also, this is tarck, not the “free advice forum”.

I really like that bike. May I suggest bar end shifters as a cheaper compromise. The “Silver” micro-ratcheting shifters are really great and would look super classy on that bike. Add a 7 speed IRD freewheel and you shifting will be greatly improved.

If you are set on STI, do it right and get a 8/9/10 hub and 105 or better shifters.

Can’t you get a whole 105 group for around $500?

= brianforums

It’s more like 800-1000 new.

Don’t bother, go with bar end shifters

I would just throw some risers on it, call it the fun bike, and buy a new bike.

[quote=sma]Hey tarck,

My uncle gave me his old road bike to upgrade for him. It’s an '85 panasonic dx 4000. Looks like this:

So what do you think is the cheapest or most bang for the buck way to do this. I think he is looking at spending $400-$500. I think anymore might just justify buying a new bike. Here’s what I have come up with so far:

1. Find 7 speed Sora shifters, buy 7 speed freewheel
  2. Find used 8 speed 105 sti, buy new derailer?, buy new wheel and cassette to match
  3. Find complete bike with sti, move parts over, sell frame

My uncle is a decent rider, but not so inclined to bicycle maintenance. So I’m trying to find something that won’t need too much fussing. Also, I volunteer at the local bike coop so I have access to frame spacing tools, taps, dies, etc. I was looking at neuvation wheels if I were to go 8 speed and up.[/quote]
does he want STI’s in particular, or just an upgrade of any sort?

Bar-cons or Sora with a 7-speed freewheel.

if he wants a “new” bike, $4-500 gets you a used entry-mid level road bike- with modern components, stis, etc. i don’t know if plowing 4 or 5 hundy into that bike is really the best thing, but who knows.
not that a modern bike is better than that panasonic, but just different. and maybe that is what he wants?

I think he wants shifter/brakes (i don’t like the word brifters) and not bar end shifters because he has a bad back and can’t get too low.

Yeah, it almost seems like a used “newish” road bike would be less trouble for him to maintain, but I’m partial to reviving old steel frames.

buy a hybrid and leave awesomeness alone.

Im glad we got that out of the way.

It’s more like 800-1000 new.[/quote]

Wow, a full Centaur 10 group at totalcycling is around 750. Yikes, 105 be 'spensive.

me neither. i also prefer the word “velocipede.” “Bicycle” just sounds so gauche.

this bike won’t work for him in that case

this frame doesn’t need reviving.

I’m partial to higher end Panasonics getting modern components.

New guy, search around for AMZ’s dx3000 with upgrayedds. Then go buy some parts. And put them on that bike.

Or don’t. Buy $400-500 worth of Valtrex, cos the dicks you’re gonna have to eat are not clean.

what does he dislike about dt shifters?