Velo Orange Grenouille Cantilevers

These

Anyone used these? They look sharp but I’m curious if they actually function well.

At $45, I guess it’d be worth a try. But I’d still like some feedback before I pick them up.

My guess is that they are fairly good. My experience with VO was been very positive, so I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Replaceable pads is a nice feature. Please report back if you get them.

+1 for stuff from VO. The owner is really nice. His shop is awesome all vintage stuff w/ custom made bits that match soo nice.

Buy them! VO sells the nice stuff $45 for your whole bike seems a great deal.

+1 Please report back if you get them.

Chris also seems like a stickler for quality. On his blog he routinely talks about sending back entire shipments of parts that do not meet his standards.

Yep.

I’ve placed a few orders with VO. They get the :bear: seal of approval.

these are probably way better: http://www.velo-orange.com/tecrcacr.html

those smooth post brake pads are going to be hell to adjust

I am running LX cantis that take a smooth post pad. They are fine. I can’t speak for this particular design though.

any good reccomendations for canti brakes for a bike with no canti mounts?

A visit to a frame shop. It is fairly easy to have them added to a steel frame. You could also just run them up front with a new fork.

never said they were bad. just way harder/ more finicky to adjust that pads that take the threaded v type pad.

is this a serious post?

is this a serious post?[/quote]

very serious. there are several people/companies who make canti’s and adapters, i just have no experience with any of them.

bolt on keirin canti brake?

never said they were bad. just way harder/ more finicky to adjust that pads that take the threaded v type pad.[/quote]

IMO dealing with all those washers with the threaded posts is a pain in the ass. I don’t really find them to be an improvement over the smooth post style in the adjustment department.

Both are fine once they are dialed in. With cartridge pads swapping out pads for either style is considerably easier, and the VO brakes the OP linked to come with them.

Anyone use the IRD Cafam? $80 for the whole bike, they look better than the Tektro Oryx that are rebadged by a bunch of people. I’m not too crazy about the Tektros from my experience with them on the One-Way.

Also, I just got my VO aluminum fenders, they take a polishing pretty well.

[quote=“biekridder”]these are probably way better: http://www.velo-orange.com/tecrcacr.html

those smooth post brake pads are going to be hell to adjust[/quote]
I’ve got those on my CX race bike, I like em’ a lot.

My biggest problem with Tektro brakes is that the pads really need to be replaced out of the box. I have Oryx, and for the $15 per-pair I paid, they’re perfectly adequate. If I had it to do over again, I’d spend the extra and get the CR720s and some decent roller-hangers.

Edit: #protestwordfilters

I am running LX cantis that take a smooth post pad. They are fine. I can’t speak for this particular design though.[/quote]

old shimano cantis allow for more adjustment than those.

unless you’re doing really muddy or snowy cross races or you’re using brifters just go with v brakes.