velodromes and you

Do any of you ride on the actual tarck? i wanna try but i’m scared.

i’d like to try but I for the time being a 5 hour drive to ride my bike doesn’t seem appealing.

I’ve ridden Hellyer twice in the past, but I plan to race the full season for '09. So that means 1 race night + 2 training sessions a week. I had ideas about going in and dominating the shit out of 4/5, but my training plan is not being followed as closely as it should be…

the closest one is a little over an hour away. i might go check it out in the spring but it looks pretty flat.

i met some dude on the trail yesterday who told me that the beginner sessions at hellyer are really full of noobs so i am a little less scared and think i might go out in the next couple of weeks. how do you get a coach/training plan there? does it cost $ or $$$$?

A: Sad panda without a car
B: Closest velodrome

[attachment=0]sad panda.JPG[/attachment]

:’(

;_;

i met some dude on the trail yesterday who told me that the beginner sessions at hellyer are really full of noobs so i am a little less scared and think i might go out in the next couple of weeks. how do you get a coach/training plan there? does it cost $ or $$$$?[/quote]

Just go do your three saturday morning training sessions and by the end of that you’ll know everything you need to start doing group practices. I actually have to go do one more saturday morning myself. Riding the track is really affordable and I don’t plan to hire a coach or anything like that. I’ve drawn my training plan up from reading tons of books and listening to people on here who have more experience than I do.

Hellyer’s website has all the info you’d need.
http://www.ridethetrack.com/

i want to ride hellyer. but its hella far.

Don’t you have a car? You sound like you still haven’t crawled out of your mom’s skirt yet.

gotta breast feed. brb

i live 35mins from here:

http://www.superdrome.com/

i haven’t yet but there is an express bus to Boulder that takes 25mins but i’m just kinda nervous to have Boulder “pop my cherry”

thats a steep tarck. looks awesome

i’ve ridden to alpenrose 3 times since i moved back in june. never for an actual formal thing, and once was on a single speed with cruiser-ish bars. meaning to go more once it dries up here…

so… no geared bikes right? track drops only? no brakes?

if its a real organized event, the rules will vary.

ours is open as long as there’s a dry track and sunlight. the only rules are

-road bike or track bike
-always wear a helmet

but if you go to a practice/group session, yea it will probably include no brakes, helmet req, drops with plugs, fixed.

any kind of drops are fine
t-town i believe will let you ride a road bike if it’s an individual event and you stay in one gear

Hellyer has a few special days when you can ride on anything, just to get people interested and informed about the track, but most of the time it’s fixed gear with no brakes only. You don’t have to use track drops, but no forward facing bars for mass starts.