Water jump bike

I have a shitty old bike I want to ride off of a dock at a nearby lake. This sounds like tons of fun to me. There’s only one problem with the bike I have:

It sinks.

I was thinking of attaching a life vest to the handlebars with zip ties or something like that. Does anyone have any better ideas, or better yet, actual experience?

fill the tires with air? air makes shit float

add a TT protector for moar boyancy
and TT protection

i’m sure if you get a nice length of that pipe protector from the home depot and wrap everything you possibly can with it, it’ll be bouyant

I’m not sure. It’s a 30 pound bike probably.

then get a swmming pool noodle and use it as a tt protector.

The best thing to do is use a length of rope with a float on it. (A milk jug or two liter bottle works nicely.) you can either hold the rope/float or trail it behind the bike. You’ll need more than just a noodle to float the entire bike.

Rope + noodle sounds like a good idea. You might not be able to get your bike to float but at least you’ll have a reference point for where it is.

A life vest zip tied through the front triangle might work provided you bail well before the landing.

[quote=“tx_what_it_do”]add a TT protector for moar boyancy
[/quote]

[quote=“tx_what_it_do”]i’m sure if you get a nice length of that pipe protector from the home depot and wrap everything you possibly can with it, it’ll be bouyant
[/quote]

[quote=“tx_what_it_do”]then get a swmming pool noodle and use it as a tt protector.
[/quote]

You really like top tube protectors, don’t you?

This sounds solid, provided the rope is longer than the water is deep.

[quote=“euclid”][quote=“tx_what_it_do”]add a TT protector for moar boyancy
[/quote]

[quote=“tx_what_it_do”]i’m sure if you get a nice length of that pipe protector from the home depot and wrap everything you possibly can with it, it’ll be bouyant
[/quote]

[quote=“tx_what_it_do”]then get a swmming pool noodle and use it as a tt protector.
[/quote]

You really like top tube protectors, don’t you?[/quote]

just stoked that i’ve probably found a practical use for top tube protectors

i dont think you need anything moar than a swimming pool noodle around some tubes. one swimming noodle can almost keep my 200 pound ass buoyant, i’m sure i’ll float a 30 pound bike

[quote=“tx_what_it_do”][quote=“euclid”][quote=“tx_what_it_do”]add a TT protector for moar boyancy
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You really like top tube protectors, don’t you?[/quote]

just stoked that i’ve probably found a practical use for top tube protectors

i dont think you need anything moar than a swimming pool noodle around some tubes. one swimming noodle can almost keep my 200 pound ass buoyant, i’m sure i’ll float a 30 pound bike[/quote]

uhhh…isn’t your 200 pound ass buoyant without the noodle? pay attention in science class…

good call. but that doesn’t mean it wont support weight.

my dick will support weight…that doesn’t mean it will make your bike float.

your dick is not a pool noodle

unless…

Cut up pool noodles and put them on the bars and all over the frame. We did this. The rope thing can get messy, like caught up on your pedals or something. It may work but there is more possibility for badness. With enough noodles and stuff it works pretty well. Also if you are still getting sinkage strap a milk jug to the bars.

We did this with my girlfriend’s neighbour’s BMX in a lake when I was 12 or so, it was pretty cool. We didn’t have any buoyancy equipment, just made sure to hang on to the bike with at least one hand. Of course, my friend somehow lost his grip once, and when the bike sank it got tangled up with his foot and did its best to drown him. But I am sure that won’t happen to you… My suggestion is to attach a rolled-up length of cord to the handlebars, and grab the other end. When it sinks, just hold on to the cord. This will give you enough time to get into swimming mode, before the bike starts weighing you down. After all, keeping a bike floating isn’t that hard. Also, you could attach a tennis ball or something to your end of the cord. That way, even if you lose it, it will stay afloat, and, given a long enough rope, above water.

clipless pedals.

innertubes jammed between the spokes
i saw some water jump bikes on the net with that solution
just don’t forget to inflate them

lmfao

I’d suggest Time ATACS and Sidi Dominators.