What was your strangest flat?

how the fuck can you do that shit with a paper bill? i’ve done it with our fakemoney but it is plastic

The paper is pretty tough. I suspect it has cotton fibers. A Gu packet might work better. I have some proper boots now.

hit a polo ball which was then blocked by an opposing player. Made a loud ping then his tyre suddenly went flat.
Turned out the ball hit the valve and snapped it in half.

Rolling away from work one evening this last spring, I noticed my rear was flat. Stopped, took the tube out n’ inflated it to find the puncture, but couldn’t find anything. Figured maybe somebody’d decided to be a dick and deflate it or something. Re-installed tube n’ tire and rode the five miles home, but noticed a significant amount of pressure loss upon arrival. Took the tire off, inspected it for a solid fifteen minutes and finally found a microscopic chunk of glass in the tread that was just sort of scraping against my tube. Patched the even more miniscule hole in the tube n’ all was well.

The paper is pretty tough. I suspect it has cotton fibers. A Gu packet might work better. I have some proper boots now.[/quote]its a cotton/linen rag paper.

my weirdest flat was i got a flat on the way and coming home from pizza4lunch. glass on the way, little coiled up wire on the way home

One time I had a buddy watching for proper bead seating for me while I pumped air and as he cheered me on (it was a shitty pump) and I was almost up to pressure the bead unseated and the tire blew out. Not that strange but it was funny and loud.

[quote=prawza]hit a polo ball which was then blocked by an opposing player. Made a loud ping then his tyre suddenly went flat.
Turned out the ball hit the valve and snapped it in half.[/quote]

Seen this happen with a polo mallet hitting the stem in a wreck

Not really strange but I was riding along a bike path during goathead season (stupid idea btw, even if you don’t do what I did). I was looking at a bird or something and ran off the path into the weeds. I had 23 thorns in my front tire and 17 in the rear. When I saw all the thorns I made the decision to high tail it to the train station without removing the thorns and I actually made it the 2 miles or so to the station. I replaced the front tire on the train and the rear held out till I got home. Had to ride the train in spandex though, that was a little awkward.

I was leaving my apartment going uphill. I was looking beside me to check traffic, then I notice a patch of gravel not even 6 meters ahead of me. My front gatorskin runs over a big rock and gets a pinch flat not even .4 miles from my place. I had to change the tube right then and there and goto a bike shop to get an extra tube. So I get a new tube from a bike shop, then get another flat later then evening. Same day and everything.

first day riding with my gatorskins i get a flat in the front, found a rock stuck in it :frowning:
never had a flat since then with my gatorskins though

not nearly as good as all your stories but I thought it was weird

strangest had to be riding to the Stop and Shop. Walking around the market with the bike picking out groceries. Paying for said grocerys. Walking out the door, and see a flat rear tire.

The paper is pretty tough. I suspect it has cotton fibers. A Gu packet might work better. I have some proper boots now.[/quote]

A folded up Clif Bar wrapper works perfecto and has successfully gotten me home after my tire’s sidewall exploded.

This has also happened to me.

Had the inner tube blow with the bike in the car. Scared the crap out of me.

dammn

I rode over a small glass bottle in an ihop parking lot. The bottle exploded and my back tire went flat immediately.

I’ve never had a flat on my tarck, knock on wood. But when I go out on the MTB, it’s either a 0 flat day or a 2 flat day, no exceptions. Maybe it’s time to go tubeless…

One day I come out of class to find a flat tire. Inspect it and find the rim tape had been somehow pushed to the side, so I re-center it and tape it down with a few layers of electric and patch the tube, ride home.

Later that evening after having ridden to a friend’s house, exact same deal except in a different spot on the rim. This time I make absolutely sure that all the spoke holes are sufficiently covered and put a layer of electrical over the whole thing just in case.

Come out of class the next day to find the same tire flat, again. I get reaaaaal pissed and rip the tire off the rim in front of the building whilst cursing to myself, except this time I found out it was just a piece of glass. Oh well.

Didn’t get another flat for like 5 months, though.

Have had similar strings of bad luck in accidentally ripping valve heads off with my pump when in a hurry.

i had a tire unseat and blow up quite literally in my face at 120 psi. i was i shock for a little bit. my dad who was in the room taking a nap woke up instantly and asked if i had been shot (he grew up in a bad part of detroit, like worse than normal. i guess it was a natural reaction). i lol’d afterwards.

another time i replaced a tube for a girl and as i was trying to appear proficient and quick, i ripped the valve stem clean off the tube when i tried to detach my pump. she was unimpressed.

the last time i had a flat is when i rammed my bike into a car and blew it out entirely. otherwise i’ve had good luck!

Did a 20 mi charity ride around Houston and our group of 6 people rolled back up to the meet place. One guy dismounts, leans bike against tree, takes 3 steps away, and POP!!! I guess if it was gonna let go that night, that was the best time.

I also cut across a small patch of grass, stopped for a minute, and heard a hissing. Looked down and saw a ton of thorns. I pulled one out, and it hissed louder… without thinking I stuck it back in, and sprinted as far as I could before both front and rear went flat. This was back in Jr High, just ridng around neighborhood, so no tube/tools/patch.

knock on wood… I’ve been VERY lucky on not getting flats on my road bikes. Only two times I did, I added air and rode home. I still end up helping friends change all their flats… their slow and cumbersome, I can’t stand to just sit around and watch.

on the last 5 miles of a 35 mile loop i see some gnarly looking railroad tracks ahead of me. at about 20mph i try to float over them but my front wheel hit one hard as fuck. immediately after impact i start thinking to myself “damn, that was a hard hit, good thing i didn’t get a pinch fla…” PSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! went flat before i could even finish the thought. delayed-reaction-snake-bike… wtf? i rolled a good 100 meters before all the air came out at once.