wheel building / discussion thread

I don’t remember Archetypes being offset. That’s weird.

The spoke to the left of the valve always goes towards the nearest flange.

Always.

I’d say you’ll be fine. I did first set of tb14s backwards for a while. Never had an issue, road and gravel. Took me a bit to realize it, but didn’t want to relace the whole thing. The offset seems so small as to not matter.

Maybe I will put that ^ as a sign above my truing stand so I don’t mess up another lacing.
Since I do it once every two years or so, the first wheel always takes longer. That might help.

I’d redo them.
It’s a nice wheelset.
Make it right.

They’re not, but I’m pretty sure the holes are drilled at angles.

Archetypes are directionally drilled but not offset. As ergott says, hole to the left of the valve attaches to the nearest flange (although I agree this is almost always the case, some older rims went the opposite way). You can ride the wheels as you’ve done it but the risk of spoke breakage will be increased at the nipple.

ok sorry dudes lets clarify further since rims have 2 sides

looking at the rim with the logo at the correct orientation, the hole to the left of the valve attaches to the nearest flange on the hub
please confirm

Yes but if you flip the rim, the left-hole-to-nearest-flange statement still holds.

1 Like

the word of Brandt. Bonus of long-dried linseed oil staining the page.

Guess this is my new rim. Not a huge fan of either brand, but I am slightly less embarrassed with VO so I guess I’ll get those

Well I’m never going to build a wheel again. I relaced the rear. Now the rim label is backwards. All the nipples are scratched up from being pulled in and out a million times. I’ve scratched the rim with the spoke threads. I probably can’t even use these nipples again. So I’m going to clip the spokes and pay somebody else to do this. I don’t think I’ve ever been so frustrated working on a bike before.

Also doesn’t fucking help that everywhere I look for resources has some different fucking way of describing how to lace. Sheldon Brown is downright wrong, that’s how I ended up with the misaligned first build. Youtube videos are all old men filmed on a fucking potato, articles written seem to want to use the least number of words possible and can’t seem to use consistent nomenclature even within the same article.

Bummer. Print off the Musson book (https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php) or get your hands on the Schraner book.

sounds about right.

Are you looking at the holes from the spoke side or the rim bed side? which offset is which can be confusing

If the nipples didn’t bind up when tensioning it’s prob fine tho

edit: lol you had a whole new page

Okay, so it was sheldon leading me wrong, too. Solid.

fucking relaced again. Time to go get day drunk. I’ll tension this garbage tomorrow.

Schraner book is great. I have a copy that I could scan for use.

Only once have I had a rim with the drilling reversed, was an old purple ano velocity. Really messed with me until I had someone help me sort the lacing out.

I’ve been there and now I just thread all my spokes in one side and get my 3 x pattern and put them in every other hole. Then I do the other side. Sure it’s kind of messy and annoying at first put IME it’s way harder to really fuck up and the second side is also a bit more difficult to lace but it’s totally worth it to me to not have to try and follow someone else’s procedure.