wheel building / discussion thread

That’s like 15 pounds!

#badmetricconversions

but i mean, that IS heavy.
Is there any other single bicycle component that weighs more? other than a battery.

But, that’s like a whole 2x10 drivetrain all in one part, and none of it isn’t metal

WTF! That’s a 4lb hub!

Wtaf

It can be used for home shop/defense if you throw it at someone.

Ballast to help with learning to wheelie.

[quote=iwillbe]You want to get real about bikes?

Bath salts and headset installation[/quote]

This made me laugh VERY hard.

[quote=bward1028]but i mean, that IS heavy.
Is there any other single bicycle component that weighs more? other than a battery.[/quote]

the lightest pinion gearbox is 2.2kg

https://pinion.eu/en/p1-18-gearbox/

Dumb Q: my 6800 rear wheel’s rim is toast. I found a replacement rim online, can I reuse the spokes/nips since they’re weird Shimano straight pull jawns? I don’t want really want to dump the set. The front rim is still ok because I used a dynamo wheel all winter. Yes, I need to get on the disc train but can’t yet.

Maybe new nipples? How do they look and how easy are they to find?

Current ones look good. Just found new ones on ebay, $7/per. Oof. Guess I’ll buy new cheap wheels.

If the new rim is cheap enough, just try and rebuild it. Obviously it’s not as simple with a weirdo Shimano wheel, but spokes in situ on a hub are fine to transfer between rims, especially if you’re careful to gradually decrease tension.

New rim is $95 bucks. On the fence but I’ll probably do it

Those wheels totally suck to build. I would not recommend it.

Yeah no way I would attempt that.

What makes them sucky? low spoke count and high tension and such as?

Are those the ones with the oversized proprietary alloy nipples?

I can’t remember if they also were the ones where the spoke heads would just spin in the holes on the hub. Not the worst, because you are almost always using the little slotted tool to keep them from twisting, but annoying when getting a new spoke started from no tension. I could be thinking of a different wheel, though.

Regardless, my experience working on Shimano wheels was that the Ultegra-level and up are fine if they came on your bike, but I wouldn’t want to put too much time and money into them.

Yeah I think those are them. It’s a shame cause the hubs are still good and the rims are so rad for tubeless because the whole rim bed is sealed. The spoke holes don’t go through so there’s no tape.

ugh fuck that. Tape’s not that bad.