wheel building / discussion thread

Looks good, what tires?

Nice!

That means something coming from you!

Kenda’s new Hellkat pro up front and Helldriver pro at the rear, enduro-casing.

Tubeless road question:

what’s a good hooked alloy rim for going tubeless on a traditional road setup? I’m confident I can get Hutchinson Sectors in 28mm (they don’t really stretch) into a set of 6800 calipers and an Enve 2.0 fork. I’m not looking to maximize tire width, just to get everything to fit properly.

This is for my Broakland, which is super fun as a bare bones road bike, but I’m pretty convinced that it’s going to be better with 28mm tubeless tires rather than 26mm high x 27.5mm wide tubed Conti gp4Kii. File under “wheelbuilding specific dithering”, I guess.

And yeah, I know I know, tubeless + needing more than 55psi is probably a recipe for bad times, but until I find a buyer for my Edgerunner and get into longjohn life, I’m doing some minor housekeeping dithering.

I’ve heard of people having good results with the archetype.

Asking what’s a good non-TL rim for TL?
I’d think almost anything could work. May need to go heavy on the tape/use Gorilla.

[quote=jdsmooth]Asking what’s a good non-TL rim for TL?
I’d think almost anything could work. May need to go heavy on the tape/use Gorilla.[/quote]

No, I definitely would prefer a rim made for tubeless tires.

As road tubeless is still in its infancy, I’m asking what’s worked for people. If Archetypes have held up and not been disasters, that would be great, as that’s what I have on the bike now. I’m happy to spend the $200 and couple of hours it would take to lace on a better fit rim for purpose, though.

Not Archetypes. Stan’s Alpha 400 have been good to me for >20,000km.

I had good first-hand experiences with DT R460s.

They built up easily, tubeless’d without bullshit, and held up to quite a bit of underbiking abuse from me before I sold the bike. Not particularly light, though they are quite affordable.

I was using them with the Sector 28s. I don’t buy into the road rubeless = bad times assessment.

Others may have recommendations for fancier options.

I had the same experience with the R460.

All of the DT rims I’ve had have been great for tubeless. I have E512 on the MTB.

Stan’s Alpha 400 and DT r460, thanks for the suggestions.

I was using DT r460db on my long distance road / sport touring bike for about a year, and felt that they were way less stiff than the 28mm wide by 46mm deep carbon rims that replaced them. I’m sure I’m right about that, but that doesn’t mean that they’re appreciably floppier than Archetypes; anything will feel that way compared to monster truck carbon rims.

The Alpha 400 look cool, too.

tangentially related, but I’m interested in how alloy road rims have reached a bimodal price distribution: either $40-50 or $130-150.

it’s pretty damn mature, I’ve been using it for at least 8 years now

DT and Astral are making great rims

Also Shimano’s cheap road tubeless wheelsets (<=Ultegra) have been great for me, so unless you have some sweet hubs to build on I’d say screw building.

it’s pretty damn mature, I’ve been using it for at least 8 years now

DT and Astral are making great rims[/quote]

Nobody would accuse you of being an average user of any bike stuff, though. I’ll probably try the R460.

Rephrasing my thought: there has been comparatively little uptake of tubeless tires in the road world compared to mtb, and as a result there are fewer products and way less conventional wisdom about how and how well 28mm and smaller tubeless tires work. Absent prevailing conventional wisdom, I’m happy to ask simple questions of informed users.

The first big push for road tubeless was in 2006 or thereabouts, Shimano and Hutchinson collaborated to make a not well received tire+wheel combo. I ignored them for about ten years, and only gave a pair of Sectors a try because I asked about the technology here a couple of years ago. I suspect that in another 3-5 years enough people into road bikes will have gone tubeless as to spur innovation and refinement from tire companies, as well as to generate high pressure tubeless tire maintenance and repair tricks. My only contribution thus far is that you can secure a bacon strip with Gorilla tape wound around the outside of a tubeless tire pumped to 60 psi, but that’s not ideal, like, at all.

I have sub-Ultegra Shimano TL wheels; they are a great value. Super durable. TL setup easy.
My nice road wheels are budget category Kinlin XR31t + CX ray + Novatec with 28mm Pro Ones. Very lightweight. Also problem-free.

Very happy with Astral. I have 700 and 650 rims from them on my bikes.

I think you just haven’t been paying attention. Everything from T has been road tubeless compatible (and totally functional) since I started there in 2013

Just get a tubeless-ready rims from a reputable manufacturer and you should be good. The only horror stories I’ve heard in the last five years are from people trying to kludge non-tubeless rims or tires

I think you just haven’t been paying attention. Everything from T has been road tubeless compatible (and totally functional) since I started there in 2013

Just get a tubeless-ready rims from a reputable manufacturer and you should be good. The only horror stories I’ve heard in the last five years are from people trying to kludge non-tubeless rims or tires[/quote]

You’re completely right, and the paragraph following the one you quoted notes that I paid zero attention to road tubeless for a decade, because I tend to work on a principle of sufficiency rather than excellence when it comes to bike shit. I’ve drifted from 8-11 speeds only as new groupsets make it convenient and cheap to do so, and got my first carbon rims in 2017, about twenty years after they were generally commercially available. I’m looking foward to trying this newfangled electronic shifting sometime around 2025.

As far as kludging, the first response to my question about tubeless road rims was “Archetypes are probably fine”. I’m probably going to go with the DT rims of which I’ve previously tried the disc version.

I mean, I quit bike shops in 2013 and I don’t think anybody coming into our shop was running tubeless on the road at that time. That shop wasn’t high-end by any means, but was probably indicative of where a “normal” rider was at.

Most of the road riders I know don’t ride tubeless now and don’t understand why they would, and they are mostly shoprats or former shoprats. My Endpoint is the first time I’ve tubeless-ed a 700c bike of my own.

I don’t think Tarck is anywhere close to normal.

[quote=deadforkinglast]
I don’t think Tarck is anywhere close to normal.[/quote]

I have learnt this