wheel building / discussion thread

[quote=deadforkinglast]Most of the road riders I know don’t ride tubeless now and don’t understand why they would, and they are mostly shoprats or former shoprats. My Endpoint is the first time I’ve tubeless-ed a 700c bike of my own.

I don’t think Tarck is anywhere close to normal.[/quote]

Based on the number of flats I saw during the last 2 gravel races I did, I don’t think many of those people are running tubeless either. It’s not quite as big of a pain in the ass as tubulars, but it’s probably more than the average bike person is willing to get into.

I think of it more like insurance.
It is way less of a pain in the ass than a flat when it is 94º and humid.
and that is the ONLY time I get a flat. Never on a nice cool morning ride.

Or 35* and pouring rain.

Yeah, any current DT Swiss tubeless ready road rim is better than basically anything comparable on the market at the moment. There’s no contest, certainly not with something like an Archetype.

R460 is the one true 700c rim for pretty wide and tubeless compatible, look no further

Update on china carbon rims: after spending way too much time looking at various ebay listings I’m going with these: https://www.nextie.net/premium-lite-mountain-27.5-inch-NXT27XM30U

25mm internal, low profile, and nextie claims 260g-290g ish depending on drilling. I facebooked them asking for a coupon code but they told me their summer sale is starting in like a week so I should just wait for that.

I’m also gonna jump on the pile recommending the R460. Easy build, easy tubeless setup, no problems.

I honestly believe that, as rim brakes slip gradually into obsolescence, there will be no desire or demand to improve upon their design and the DT Swiss R460 will be recognized as the zenith of aluminum rim-brake clinchers.

[quote=blackholelectron]R460 is the one true 700c rim for pretty wide and tubeless compatible, look no further

Update on china carbon rims: after spending way too much time looking at various ebay listings I’m going with these: https://www.nextie.net/premium-lite-mountain-27.5-inch-NXT27XM30U

I recommend them highly. My fatbike runs Nexties. They build up really nicely.
25mm internal, low profile, and nextie claims 260g-290g ish depending on drilling. I facebooked them asking for a coupon code but they told me their summer sale is starting in like a week so I should just wait for that.[/quote]

[youtube]Q7OtDzRtz4M[/youtube]

That is pretty neat, but the guy reading it has all the charisma of a zucchini.

super neat