wheres the recommended-a-tire thread?

couldnt find the old thread, figure i’ll start a new one.

road bike needs new tires. want to run 23c and i found a set of wire bead pasela tour guards in the back of the shop. i know alot of you guys run them in larger sizes, are they worth a damn in 23c or should i just get another pair of vittoria rubinos? these will be used for basic road riding on dirty and sometimes wet roads and some fair weather commuting.

thx

I really like the Conti GP 4 Seasons for general riding. More supple than Gatorskins, but more flat resistance than GP4000s.

Never ridden the Paselas, but if they are free, ride 'em.

i absolutely hate all continental road tires. i’ve owned several pairs and have had problems with all of them, from gp4k to gatorskins and another pair i cant remember… mid level wirebead tire ultra race maybe?. either the sidewall starts to come apart after a couple hundred miles or chunks of the tread go missing for no reason.

if you wanna go fast, go have a look

Jamil, I have no idea why you wouldn’t want to use those Open Corsa’s you sold me.

it’s dry where i live, am not skinny, and am generally easy on tires. clinchers i’d recommend, skinny to fat:
[list]
[]michelin pro 3 / pro 2 in 25mm
[
]gran bois cypres in 30mm
[]non-tourgard paselas in 1-1/4", 32, 35mm
[
]big apples
[/list]

that would be like putting race slicks on my rabbit. I’d love to but just about anything else is more practical.

and I should have said I need to run 23c, rather than want. 25 rub on the brakes. I’d like to run 28 but that’s not gonna happen on thus bike.

run 24s then?

schwalbe duranos.
i really like the paselas though. they have the same tread pattern as the panaracer t serv which i like.

gp4 seasons wear out like whoa.

Ran schwalbe duranos last winter and for all my races cuz couldnt afford new tires. Then this year I just went with some cheaper winter tires, schwalbe blizzards. Saved a decent chunk of change and they ride alright. No complaints thus far. Only one flat (pinch) over the last few months.

i’d use what i got for free first before i bought a set of tires, shop employee discount or not.

i’m not sure if i’d ever pay for paselas, tg or not in 23 or 25c though.

[quote=biekridd]i’d use what i got for free first before i bought a set of tires, shop employee discount or not.

i’m not sure if i’d ever pay for paselas, tg or not in 23 or 25c though.[/quote]

why wouldn’t you pay for them?

not in my experience. i’ve got a bunch of miles on mine and they are nice and thin and incredibly supple. ride so nice and still no flats (28s).

not in my experience. i’ve got a bunch of miles on mine and they are nice and thin and incredibly supple. ride so nice and still no flats (28s).[/quote]

I put 2200 miles on a pair with one flat from a staple.

Also, I fucking hate Pasela TGs. Icky, icky tire.

Starting to think about tires for the Pompino.

Gonna have a street set of wheels and a race/backup set.

Is it worthwhile getting something with a dry conditions tread (Kenda Small Block 8, etc…) for the street set/backup wheels or should I just go all the way slick and throw some cheapie cross tires on in the fall?

I got some blizzards for free and I actually quite like them.

[quote=Face][quote=biekridd]i’d use what i got for free first before i bought a set of tires, shop employee discount or not.

i’m not sure if i’d ever pay for paselas, tg or not in 23 or 25c though.[/quote]

why wouldn’t you pay for them?[/quote]
if i were riding 23/25c paselas, tg or not, i’d just wish i had 23/25c “road” or “race” tires.
use em if they are free though.

addenda: i can’t wait to buy a set of gp4 season 28c tyres.

Small Block 8 looks totally worth trying, but Paselas are soooo cheap, and terrific for road use.

Are you really going to be wallowing in the gnar during normal use on the street set?