wheres the recommended-a-tire thread?

Do any of you have experience with schwalbe kojaks and/or ultremos?

I can get both at wholesale so if they’re decent I might be tempted to get some.

I hate paselas, they lose all traction in wet conditions. I like gator skins because they’re fast and durable. Pro race 3s roll great but are too fragile for me. I love love love panaracer urban max 32s. They’re probably my favorite all around tire of all time. I have schwalbe marathon plus on my crosscheck and they’re indestructible and tacky as shit but heavy as hell and roll like bricks. Specialized armadillos are garbage.
I’m sure I’ll think of more later.

Paselas sketchy in the wet. I used Marathons whilst touring-but my experience was similar to Rustys,they’re bricks. Has anyone used Vittoria Randonneur Hypers, if so whats the verdict?

Small Block 8 looks totally worth trying, but Paselas are soooo cheap, and terrific for road use.

Are you really going to be wallowing in the gnar during normal use on the street set?[/quote]

It would be nice if the tires were reasonably fast on pavement and didn’t afraid of dirt. Race wheels will have more gnar-oriented tires.

BIGA PPLS

good to know that the paselas suck in the wet since that’s what I’m gonna be riding in. pass on those and I’m off to find something else

[quote=rustymongrel]Do any of you have experience with schwalbe kojaks and/or ultremos?

I can get both at wholesale so if they’re decent I might be tempted to get some.[/quote]

i’ve got a pair of the kojaks in the 26x2.0" variety, and after only a handful of miles i’m happy thus far. haven’t tried or heard anything about the 700c versions.

Small Block 8 looks totally worth trying, but Paselas are soooo cheap, and terrific for road use.

Are you really going to be wallowing in the gnar during normal use on the street set?[/quote]

It would be nice if the tires were reasonably fast on pavement and didn’t afraid of dirt. Race wheels will have more gnar-oriented tires.[/quote]

I use Maxxis Raze at 50odd psi for this

It would be nice if the tires were reasonably fast on pavement and didn’t afraid of dirt. Race wheels will have more gnar-oriented tires.[/quote]

I use Maxxis Raze at 50odd psi for this[/quote]

Those look promising.

Those look promising.[/quote]

Small Block 8s are fucking great tires and surprisingly good on pavement.

That said, you’ll wear 'em out. I’d alternate the SB8 with Kojaks in 35c.

[quote=rustymongrel]Do any of you have experience with schwalbe kojaks and/or ultremos?

I can get both at wholesale so if they’re decent I might be tempted to get some.[/quote]

A buddy of mine used Kojaks on his 26er MTB for a MS charity ride, he really liked them and uses them now for his commuting full-time

Those look promising.[/quote]

Small Block 8s are fucking great tires and surprisingly good on pavement.

That said, you’ll wear 'em out. I’d alternate the SB8 with Kojaks in 35c.[/quote]
This. They are probably my favorite tires right now. They run fast and are predictable on the road and always surprise me with their versatility on dirt. It’s rare that I find myself afraid to use the front brake. What they lack in traction in mud and very loose terrain, they make up for in predictability.

But as Heath said, they are soft and wear fairly fast on the road. I would say they are worth having as your dedicated off-road tire during the dry season, at least in the rear. In mud and soft stuff, you’ll probably want something else, though they’ve been fine for my non-racing purposes year round.

fwiw, I think Pasela TGs are quite nice for the price you pay. For free, i’d get them for sure… it 's a no brainer. They are slippy in the rain but its acceptable if youre just riding to work and not hooning or in a crit or something. I keep meaning to try kojaks but am too much of a cheap weenie, so for now I am a committed pasela rider.

[quote=Rusty Piton]I hate paselas, they lose all traction in wet conditions. I like gator skins because they’re fast and durable. Pro race 3s roll great but are too fragile for me. I love love love panaracer urban max 32s. They’re probably my favorite all around tire of all time. I have schwalbe marathon plus on my crosscheck and they’re indestructible and tacky as shit but heavy as hell and roll like bricks. Specialized armadillos are garbage.
I’m sure I’ll think of more later.[/quote]
just saw that panasonic makes urban max tires in 25 and 28 in addition to 32 now. picked up a 25 for my road bike and it handled the freezing rain black ice roads of my tarck century last night like a champ. for $35 per pair on ebay, i’ll be stocking up come payday.

Curious about this as well… looking at 700x32 for touring bike.

Just mounted some on a customers bike yesterday. They seem pretty nice. Surprisingly light. Casing feels pretty supple. They are going on a chill fixxy so won’t get any good feedback though.

Wish they made a 28c… would try.

my next tires will prob be hypers in 35. will review come spring.