White Industries new track hubs and cog

Anyone seen these yet? I’m a big fan of WI road hubs and these should be pretty kickass. Study the rear hub and cog carefully. No idea how much they will cost, bet I’m sure they won’t be cheap.

http://www.whiteind.com/trackhubset.html

They’re cool, but I’ll just reiterate the point I always make when I see this stuff - does the world or the market really need more track hubs? There has to have been ten or more entires into the field in the past year.

yeah. on top of that, does the world need more proprietary shit?

Seems like most new track hub entries are rebadged formulas or dimensions (or essentially the same design), not completely new hubs designed from the ground up like these. Variety of options is a good thing. What the world does need is a widely available track hub with more spoke count options (other than Phil). Perhaps these will fit the bill. The photos show a 36 spoke wheel, but most WI hubs come in a huge vareity of hole counts and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them come in 20, 24, 28, 32, 36.

That “proprietary shit” looks like a better design than the standard hub-cog iterface. You’re not going to strip that, and also way easier to change cogs…no rotafixing or chainwhip needed. There needs to be an offroad version of this hub.

I’m optimistic. WI has been known to produce good stuff in the past. Even if this cog design is proprietary, is does look to be a better concept than threaded cogs. Also, I doubt WI will fall short in terms of cog selection judging by their past products.

Well the Miche cog carrier system has a reputation for developing play when used on the street. These might have better machining on the splines, but it’s the same basic idea.

This design looks cool for the track, but for tarck applications, not so much.

I was thinking that the maleable aluminum hub (just guessing that the interface is aluminum) would probably develop play pretty quick too.

That website totally looks like a fake spam website.

[quote=“tarckeemoon”]Well the Miche cog carrier system has a reputation for developing play when used on the street. These might have better machining on the splines, but it’s the same basic idea.

This design looks cool for the track, but for tarck applications, not so much.[/quote]

I use the Miche system…theres no play as long as you keep the lockring tight. If any, its so minor, that it is completely irrelevant compared to the play in a properly tensioned chain.

Doubtful. The interface is pretty thick. Your not going to deform that unless you are so strong that you regularly sheer the teeth off your chainring too.

The way I see it, the only way to strip a hub is through improper installation of the cog and lockring. If that’s the case, then this is just as likely to fail due to the same factors. The moron who hammers his lockring into place with a screwdriver is just as likely to do it on this hub, and therefore just as likely to fuck it up.

This being a White Industries product, it’s less likely that said moron would own it in the first place, but my point is that I’m not entirely sure who this hub is aimed at, or what problems this solves.

Doubtful. The interface is pretty thick. Your not going to deform that unless you are so strong that you regularly sheer the teeth off your chainring too.[/quote]

Not quite the same. I bring it up because it would be impossible to have an interface like that without a little play to begin with. Otherwise you’d be hammering the cog on. And obviously a little play turns into a lot of play eventually.

White Industries does nice work, so I doubt they are sloppy. I guess the real question is, does the performance justify the extra money these undoubtedly cost?

i didn’t mean to imply that i thought it was “shit”–my experience with white industries has been very positive. it just so happens that i like being on a forum where i can use expletives:). i also like being able to walk into a bike shop to buy a cog as opposed to having to order one online…

Are you sure about that? This proves that owning a WI hub does not disqualify one from being a moron.

http://bikehugger.com/2008/02/at_the_ha ... ow_ano.htm

Sure its looks like its made really well, but why? why? why?

Yeah, I wish. I’ve never even seen a track cog in any LBS around here. I tried to get one once through a LBS and they couldn’t even get the one I wanted, plus it would have taken them like a month to get it and they wanted way way too much for it. I’d much rather order parts online.

Even my junky shop has a few track cogs laying around. We charge more for them then they cost on eBay after shipping, though.

white industries had a table at the cirque du cyclisme thing in leesburg, VA yesterday, so i held one of these hubs in my hand while the guy at the table talked on his cell phone. it was pretty spiffy. :slight_smile:

[quote=“mihlbach”]Are you sure about that? This proves that owning a WI hub does not disqualify one from being a moron.

http://bikehugger.com/2008/02/at_the_ha ... ow_ano.htm

Sure its looks like its made really well, but why? why? why?[/quote]

looks like such a bad idea

Easton uses a very similar splining on the EC90 TKO track wheels. The cog for said wheels wouldn’t even work as a paperweight. Chances are if you have a 36h hub, you aren’t concerned about weight savings that much though…