Would you ride a recumbent?

[quote=Rusty Piton]There’s a guy around here with a recumbent trike with a small filing cabinet between the rear wheels and a million crazy flags and reflectors of all shapes and sizes. He rode past my house as I was walking out the other day but I wasn’t quick enough to get a shot.

And yes, I’d get bent.[/quote]
are you referring to Peter’s Gyrator?
edit this dude?

i love that guy. i’ve seen him all over the city, all year.

That’s the guy!

Dorky generic recumbent… no draw, but maybe if I had to (back/neck reasons).

Low-racer or tadpole trike… definite cool factor, but not gonna use them in the same traffic I do a normal bike. Maybe a mup cruiser, FM road bike, or something like that.

i came in here to shamelessly say i’d love to ride a recumbent

only to find my freddy chicago brethren beat me to it.
fuck yeah recumbents!

i haven’t seen him in a while, but there is some 70 year old guy that seems to do nothing but ride around my neighborhood in a recumbent, all day everyday… long flowing white beard and a little helmet mirror. looks like a bum.
i usually think about what i’ll be doing with my time when i’m 70 when i see this guy, and imagine something not too far off from that. i’m definitely working a recumbent into my retirement budget.

I have and htey are fucking epic. The trike I road had a built in stereo with ipod adapter.

Seems like riding in traffic would be scary, but otherwise I think I would dig it.

Ride one? Hell yes.

Own one? I wouldn’t know until I’ve ridden one.

i’ve ridden one in a parking lot after i assembled one. would not ride or assemble again. at first it felt like i was relearning how to ride a bike.

I will buy a recumbent with a lap-desk and a cupholder the day after I get married.

You will ride it away from the wedding with “just married” cans dragging behind.

I’d love to ride one. Hell, I’d love to build one. I’ve been dreaming up a design that is monocoque carbon. I read Mike Burrows’ book and after leaving Giant, 'bents is all he’s been doing. He calls 'em “layback bikes”. I just don’t know how practical they’d be. I like to go really fast as much as the next guy, but I also like to break laws and zip through traffic. That seems not so wise in an urban environment. In a non-urban environment, I’d rather be in the hills.

I had to build one up for a school project a few years ago and race it. It was pretty much a “pimp my ride” recumbent.
We then did a 24 hour race on it with a team of 12 or something.
Was pretty epic, these things go fast!

Not our bike but from the same race:

i’d ride the fuck out of a catrike

Fuck yes I would, provided it’s a Velokraft Nocom:

Or conversely a Quest Velomobile:

the last one looks like the bike form of this w/o the bumpers and trim

aka would ride.

edit: and this

[quote=Ranger Rick]the last one looks like the bike form of this w/o the bumpers and trim

aka would ride.

edit: and this
[/quote]

James Dean had a Speedster and that’s what inevitably killed him.

24 hour distance covered was done on a bent at my local 'drome back in Eureka. half mile track. I tried riding on that fucker, slippery as all getout.