Wow, this shit is all different now! (Hi.) (Townie musing.)

Hi, all. I’ve been busy and injured and not riding much (at all). Currently considering repurposing my BJ Audax as a townie. Maybe some Albatross bars or some VO French bars and bar-end shifters and a pipe. How would you go about this conversion? Which bars/shifters/grips/brake levers?

Thanks. I hope you are all well. I have missed you.

Donut do it.

y knot

cinelli valencia bars-zipp sc stem-paul levers-xtr rear shifter-front DT shifter on my huffy
also have
nitto porteur bars-salsa sul stem-love levers on my steamroller

[quote=miguelaron]cinelli valencia bars-zipp sc stem-paul levers-xtr rear shifter-front DT shifter on my huffy
also have
nitto porteur bars-salsa sul stem-love levers on my steamroller[/quote]

pics plz?

stems are both different now and the surly has a basket/bell on the front

I only hear about what goes on in the life of Ian from his Twitter feed.

:slight_smile:

hey buddy

Should my first ever twitter feed be Ian’s?

I don’t have the Twitters, but Crys does. We’ll be watching TV or whatever and I hear… “Oh, I guess Ian broke his scapula”.

i’ve got the VO porteur bars on my townie with dia-compe guidonnet levers and suntour barcons. the setup works really well, but the guidonnet levers are hella flexy, which is exacerbated by the mafac racers they’re hooked up to. it’s the only setup that allows bar end shifters unfortunately, unless you want to drill some regular road levers to 23.8mm or use cross levers, which is totally gross atmo . those brake levers combined with the porteur bars are great as the swept portion is super long so you can grip them in a way that will be decently relaxed or decently aggressive and still have comfortable access to the brake levers. they also make a 22.2mm version so you can use regular mtn shifters and levers if you so choose.

here’s my setup:

If you need to do it while recovering to make riding doable/less painful then absolutely.

Otherwise, that^.

[quote=walrus]i’ve got the VO porteur bars on my townie with dia-compe guidonnet levers and suntour barcons. the setup works really well, but the guidonnet levers are hella flexy, which is exacerbated by the mafac racers they’re hooked up to. it’s the only setup that allows bar end shifters unfortunately, unless you want to drill some regular road levers to 23.8mm or use cross levers, which is totally gross atmo . those brake levers combined with the porteur bars are great as the swept portion is super long so you can grip them in a way that will be decently relaxed or decently aggressive and still have comfortable access to the brake levers. they also make a 22.2mm version so you can use regular mtn shifters and levers if you so choose.

here’s my setup:

[/quote]

that’s hot fiya. thanks for the info!

If you need to do it while recovering to make riding doable/less painful then absolutely.

Otherwise, that^.[/quote]
it’s a pretty simple conversion. as long as you leave the original bars in tact it’s something you can switch out pretty easy.

excellent point.

the nitto porteur bars are 22.2 and the handle area is just barely long enough for a fist of grip and the lever. i had to cut down some PRO locking grips to fit.

Get me into your twitter.

[quote=walrus]i’ve got the VO porteur bars on my townie with dia-compe guidonnet levers and suntour barcons. the setup works really well, but the guidonnet levers are hella flexy, which is exacerbated by the mafac racers they’re hooked up to. it’s the only setup that allows bar end shifters unfortunately, unless you want to drill some regular road levers to 23.8mm or use cross levers, which is totally gross atmo . those brake levers combined with the porteur bars are great as the swept portion is super long so you can grip them in a way that will be decently relaxed or decently aggressive and still have comfortable access to the brake levers. they also make a 22.2mm version so you can use regular mtn shifters and levers if you so choose.

here’s my setup:

[/quote]
yeah but that’s not the only way you can set them up, as I recently (somewhat controversially) posted in the BABPP thread.
this way has the added bonus of juvenile enucleation

I think it would be rad to have interrupters on there too for the hand positions you talked about.

double

what in the actual fuck is going on there, D?!?

sandbagjake: @teen_archer