Yet another: Deal to good too pass up?

My folks house burned down when I was 14. The insurance company gave me $6500 for all of my comics and cards. I bought a car :frowning:

[quote=“NitroPye”]When I was a kid my pa was looking thru his ma’s basement and found a bunch of nolan ryan rookie cards in mint condition. Most are sold but a few are sitting in a safe deposit box at the bank.

I also have a handful of unopened full boxes of packs. The kinds of boxes the store would have with some little cardboard display on them. My late grandfather ran a liquor distro store in PA so he gave me a box a year for a bit. Mostly early 90s. Still in the original shrink wrap.[/quote]

Wow, a bunch of nolan ryan rookies? My old man has a Joe Namath rookie locked in a safe…

I bought my unopened packs when I starting when I was 9 or so as an investment. I’ve had to fight the temptation to open them my whole life, even now. I’m thinkin I’ll open up a few of the packs that are not still in the box just for fun. I just have to wait for a day whem I’m feeling really lucky.

[quote=“zombie”][quote=“Elderberry”][quote=“Tbirdbassist”]I thought a 7 out of 10 would be considered mint. I never got those silly rating system.

Paint chips, scratches and just a tad dirty for being used occasionally for 20 years it seams. Everything works though.[/quote]

Didn’t you ever read Beckett’s as an adolescent?[/quote]

I was going through my baseball cards a few years ago to price everything. I’m going to be doing pretty well for myself when I decide to finally sell my collection.[/quote]

One of my old managers retired after selling his collection, the guy was only like 28 but made a good chunk of change

[quote=“J-lo”]
One of my old managers retired after selling his collection, the guy was only like 28 but made a good chunk of change[/quote]

Woah, fer serious?

[quote=“kemmer”][quote=“NitroPye”]When I was a kid my pa was looking thru his ma’s basement and found a bunch of nolan ryan rookie cards in mint condition. Most are sold but a few are sitting in a safe deposit box at the bank.

I also have a handful of unopened full boxes of packs. The kinds of boxes the store would have with some little cardboard display on them. My late grandfather ran a liquor distro store in PA so he gave me a box a year for a bit. Mostly early 90s. Still in the original shrink wrap.[/quote]

Wow, a bunch of nolan ryan rookies? My old man has a Joe Namath rookie locked in a safe…

I bought my unopened packs when I starting when I was 9 or so as an investment. I’ve had to fight the temptation to open them my whole life, even now. I’m thinkin I’ll open up a few of the packs that are not still in the box just for fun. I just have to wait for a day whem I’m feeling really lucky.[/quote]

Somewhere in boxes I have a near full set of randy johnson rookies, and a bunch of other pretty desireable cards I should find and sell.

I have a special edition Nolan Ryan Topps card that is appraised at $5,300. Bwahahaha. Hopefully in ten years it will be worth at least twice that. In the last ten years the value increased 1000x.