"you don't need lockrings on the track"

is dis true?

thinking of putting a spare 14T on the other (freewheel threaded) side of my hub so i don’t spin so crazily when i’m riding up there (45/16 is whats on there now)

or should i invest the extra $2 or whatever and at least throw on a BB (right-threaded) lockring? (or maybe a second cog for the same purpose)

or is this a bad idea and i should stick with just the same ol’ gear

Whole thread for this? No, you don’t need a lockring on the track because you don’t need to stop, however if you use back pressure to slow down your cog will come off. Not having a lockring allows one to change a cog quickly.

yea, probably coulda went in dumb questions.

thanks tho

just buy the spare cog and chain whip that fucker on when you’re going to the track.
you should have a collection of cogs for different purposes anyways if you are racing track more than just occasionally.

Depends if you plan on participating in sprints at the track or not.

nah, just tooling around, laps for fun

The Italian Method

Anomaly: You will be fine. Just don’t try sweet whipskidz on the velodrome and you’ll have no problems. If you really care you can do a light rotafix on, but you’ll eventually rape your hub threads if you swap cogs often doing that.

What difference would that make?

Toast, the fact is that the rule varies from track to track. Most places don’t check for it, even if there is a rule, and some places actively discourage you from using a lockring. My track disc (not some janky conversion, mind you) doesn’t even have a provision for a lockring, and it’s never been an issue at any of the velodromes I’ve visited. They’re pretty happy if you just get your number pinned on straight.

Toast, the fact is that the rule varies from track to track. Most places don’t check for it, even if there is a rule, and some places actively discourage you from using a lockring. My track disc (not some janky conversion, mind you) doesn’t even have a provision for a lockring, and it’s never been an issue at any of the velodromes I’ve visited. They’re pretty happy if you just get your number pinned on straight.[/quote]

Are you familiar with what a spring race can look like?

i’m certain he has, and trackstanding won’t take off the cog.

also: miche carrier system seems to be pretty popular and will fix your problem–you know, if you don’t mind throwing a little more money down.

blacksail -those dudes don’t pedal backwarss once.

They move backwards a few times.

I’m saying, on a slanted track if you plan on pulling any kind of maneuvers like this, It might be safe to have a lockring just in case. But since you aren’t, fuck it.

Where’s that vid of Chris Hoy or someone skidding and then dropping down like whoa. That shit is nuts.

Toast, the fact is that the rule varies from track to track. Most places don’t check for it, even if there is a rule, and some places actively discourage you from using a lockring. My track disc (not some janky conversion, mind you) doesn’t even have a provision for a lockring, and it’s never been an issue at any of the velodromes I’ve visited. They’re pretty happy if you just get your number pinned on straight.[/quote]

Are you familiar with what a spring race can look like?

even if the hopping around did loosen up the cog (i doubt it) i’m sure it would tighten as soon as they start the sprint. sure that might cause it to slip a centimeter or something, but they don’t have to worry about longevity, just finishing the race.

They move backwards a few times.

I’m saying, on a slanted track if you plan on pulling any kind of maneuvers like this, It might be safe to have a lockring just in case. But since you aren’t, fuck it.[/quote]
they’re not allowed to move backwards, so any noticeable backward motion would stop the race before the cog had a chance to come off.

(yes? dq or restart? someone who knows more than me.)

Restart I’m pretty sure.

And lol a trackstand won’t make a cog just come off
!

That sounds cool. Link, anyone?

it was the match sprint finals in the olympics last year.

Seems like it could loosen off quickly under extended resisting. But you probably won’t be doing any of that.