Zach rides BY HIMSELF!

[quote=tepr]that is awesome! congrats

edit: i taught myself how to ride a bike when i was 18 and change (about 18 months ago) and it was one of the most gratifying experiences of my life[/quote]
really? you didn’t ride bikes as a kid?

not trying to be a dick, just curious…

i love all these heartwarming poasts ddytdy

heart status: warmed

[quote=joetotale][quote=tepr]that is awesome! congrats

edit: i taught myself how to ride a bike when i was 18 and change (about 18 months ago) and it was one of the most gratifying experiences of my life[/quote]

not trying to be a dick, just curious…[/quote]
no its okay! i didnt ride bikes as a kid. my dad tried to teach me when i was very little and again around 3rd grade but both times i was too timid and didnt have the will to really learn. after that i kept thinking i was too old to learn how to ride a bike, and i didnt tell anyone about it i just avoided bikes altogether. then i decided enough was enough and i bought a bike which put me in the position where i better learn how to ride otherwise i just wasted money. and so i went to the staff parking lot around 11PM and stayed up till about 1AM teaching myself to ride (since my dad had tried to teach me before i kinda had a general sense). once i kinda got the hang of it i picked it up real fast. i hope other people who are in the position i was realize its never too late, and that theres nothing embarrassing about learning, at any age! the only embarrassing thing is being too chicken to learn at all.

i rode my bike today with no brakes! :smiley: freewheel + no brakes = aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

but luckily my new levers came in today and i was saved :slight_smile:
thank you Fedex man!

YAY ZACH!

and tepr, wow, 18? that must have taken something, i can’t imagine trying to learn something like that at 18, i would have just let it go forever. i’m always amazed when i hear about kids not knowing how to ride in their teens. but here i meet adults, like 25-30 who’ve never driven a car. i’m like “how the fuck have you gotten by all this time?” i live car free, but damn, moving and taking road trips and everything…essential skills people.

anyway Zach is set for life. also heartwarmed

This is such a great story! I am so glad he is riding!!!

tepr, nate has a friend that has never learned to ride a bike, she is supposed to come over so he can teach her. i think its great that you learned and that people are starting to take up biking at later ages.

If you’re gonna make posts about your own stupidity, at least get 'em in the right thread.

This one’s 'bout Zach, not your jackassery.

^+1.

Can I teach him bunnyhops soon?

[quote=tepr][quote=joetotale][quote=tepr]that is awesome! congrats

not trying to be a dick, just curious…[/quote]
no its okay! i didnt ride bikes as a kid. my dad tried to teach me when i was very little and again around 3rd grade but both times i was too timid and didnt have the will to really learn. after that i kept thinking i was too old to learn how to ride a bike, and i didnt tell anyone about it i just avoided bikes altogether. then i decided enough was enough and i bought a bike which put me in the position where i better learn how to ride otherwise i just wasted money. and so i went to the staff parking lot around 11PM and stayed up till about 1AM teaching myself to ride (since my dad had tried to teach me before i kinda had a general sense). once i kinda got the hang of it i picked it up real fast. i hope other people who are in the position i was realize its never too late, and that theres nothing embarrassing about learning, at any age! the only embarrassing thing is being too chicken to learn at all.[/quote]
damn, that’s tight.

i have a hard time imagining (my) childhood without bikes, hence my original curiosity.

ROCK ON.

Great to hear.

great to hear and the dmr will be a great vehicle for him to learn on:)

i thought this said zelah rides by himself.
i was preparing for the lulz.
disappointed.

zelah rides!? jk.

That’s awesome!

This is the most awesomest thing ever! Go Zach!

I’m waiting on a pair of these for the DMR so I can put a Eno wheel on for SS
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34012

Meanwhile, I put a freewheel on my fixed MTB for him. He’s been riding around the house nonstop for two days! (breaks for eat and sleep) Were going to hit some tame fire road in the morning

Never to late to learn. Mrs. DDYTDY learned to drive at 38, married me at 42* and is in her 3rd year of grad school. She’ll be 50 on 9/1.

*the answer to the ultimate question…

Where’s your towel?

I always have a big towel in my car.

“A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta…wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat…wrap it around your head to ward off noxious fumes…any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it … win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.”