105 5700/ultegra 6700 experience?

Hmm… Can anyone confirm?[/quote]

i’ve been operating under the assumption that 5700/6700/7900 used the new cable pull for brakes

can confirm 6700 with 6600 brakes works like total shit[/quote]

That’s what I understood.

How does it shift the 6600 stuff? Wouldn’t be the end of the world to have to buy some braks.[/quote]
It shifts the older stuff just fine.[/quote]

Shifting for Shimano road 10s is totally compatible across all versions. But don’t use a triple shifter with a double FD, even if your bike came set up that way stock.

New Shimano brifters (yea, shut up) have “super slr” pull for enhanced modulation and the new calipers correspond to this. New calipers + old levers = weak actuation. Old calipers + new levers = excessive actuation toward the end of the pull, which is easily corrected by not pulling so damn hard there, tough guy.

When you say “weak actuation” you mean the pads need to be set up really close to the rim?

This is what it says in the docs for the new levers and brakes (with the same shit for 5700 and 6700)

When you say “weak actuation” you mean the pads need to be set up really close to the rim?

This is what it says in the docs for the new levers and brakes (with the same shit for 5700 and 6700)

WTH I remember reading they were incompatible for the opposite reason. Well, for whatever the reason, it still seems that old levers + new calipers is not ok, whereas new levers + old calipers is fine (or at least not mentioned as being problematic).

I don’t ride much, but I wrench on (and test ride) road bieks with shimano bits everyday.

I find the best shifting goup I’ve had my hands on is a 6600 that is still fairly new. Something about this shit just feels right. Not so much for 6700, especially on a frame with internal cable routing that compromises cable friction. Just plain sucks on certain bikes where the difference between proper shifting and total crap shifting is less than a quarter turn of the adjuster barrel.

5600 vs 5700 same story IMHO. I can’t comment on ergonomics because I don’t ride enough and can’t afford a proper road bike with all this modern stuff on it.

7900; different story. It’s the dog’s bollocks afaiac.