105 5700/ultegra 6700 experience?

Looking at a new set of shifters and I’m kind of leaning towards these, however I have no experience with either and was curious as to if any of you guys had a set/had any experience with them? Give me pros/cons or likes/dislikes, whatever.

like and recommend both
use neither personally, but pretty much everything shimano makes is legit

I use the previous iteration with old shift cable routing and the different shaped hood so I can’t comment on the ergonomics. The only issue I have with the shimano lever/paddle set up is having to loosen my grip on the bar to downshift in a sprint. With the campy thumb paddle and a suitably shallow bar I can sprint with my hands in the hooks pistol grip style and downshift without having to let go with my fingers.

I have the 6700 group and love it. Great fit with compact bars and I’ve never had any problems with shifting or braking. Would recommend for sure.

Also have 5600 and have been happy with it. Might need to steal it from my trek if I want to put compact on salsa.

It’s Shimano. It just works.

This is what I was looking for. The bullshit arsis microshift shifters I have are rapidly shitting the bed, so I need a new set of clicky bits. Leaning toward the ultegra cause I’ve seen em around for ~320 used and I keep finding the 105 for ~250, worth the extra dollhairs?
Also, on a side note, if anybody wants to trade me the gunmetal/grey ultegra calipers for some silver ones I’d be amped.

This is what I was looking for. The bullshit arsis microshift shifters I have are rapidly shitting the bed, so I need a new set of clicky bits. Leaning toward the ultegra cause I’ve seen em around for ~320 used and I keep finding the 105 for ~250, worth the extra dollhairs?
Also, on a side note, if anybody wants to trade me the gunmetal/grey ultegra calipers for some silver ones I’d be amped.[/quote]

You can’t really put microshift and Shimano in the same sentence. It’s just not allowed. Seriously, Shimano invented indexed shifty bits and they do a good job staying on top. They certainly leave room for innovation and weight savings, maybe ergonomics, but in terms of performance, nothing really exceeds it.

In my experience, most things 105 are functionally equivalent to Ultegra. I’ve always just bought Ultegra coz street-cred.

I have both 5700 and 6700. I think the ultegra shifts a little smoother. I love the ergonomics of the new stuff so much than the 6600 I have.

How is the shift feel at the brifter for the 6700/5700? Really hate the mushiness of the older stuff.

Also, what is the deal with the brake cable pull between 6700 and previous generations? I think my brakes are 6500. Would modulation be assy with 6700 brifters?

The brake thing is only with 7900, I believe. The shift actuation is crisper, I feel. I ride 6600 on the specialized to work and the new blade shape + pivot points on the race bike make it feel less sloppy.

Hmm… Can anyone confirm?

Also, on a side note, if anybody wants to trade me the gunmetal/grey ultegra calipers for some silver ones I’d be amped.[/quote]

You can’t really put microshift and Shimano in the same sentence. It’s just not allowed. Seriously, Shimano invented indexed shifty bits and they do a good job staying on top. They certainly leave room for innovation and weight savings, maybe ergonomics, but in terms of performance, nothing really exceeds it.

In my experience, most things 105 are functionally equivalent to Ultegra. I’ve always just bought Ultegra coz street-cred.[/quote]

microshift is bullshit and was on the bike when i came into ownership. initially it wasnt too bad (pain in my ass to adjust but whatever) but rapidly degraded to shifting like garbage.

suntour, actually.

I got 7800s with <500 miles for $180. Keep prowlin’.

suntour, actually.[/quote]
go change wikipedia then god.

Hmm… Can anyone confirm?[/quote]

i’ve been operating under the assumption that 5700/6700/7900 used the new cable pull for brakes

can confirm 6700 with 6600 brakes works like total shit

i’ve been operating under the assumption that 5700/6700/7900 used the new cable pull for brakes

can confirm 6700 with 6600 brakes works like total shit[/quote]

That’s what I understood.

How does it shift the 6600 stuff? Wouldn’t be the end of the world to have to buy some braks.

go change wikipedia then god.[/quote]
are you dumb or something?

can confirm 6700 with 6600 brakes works like total shit[/quote]

That’s what I understood.

How does it shift the 6600 stuff? Wouldn’t be the end of the world to have to buy some braks.[/quote]
It shifts the older stuff just fine.

go change wikipedia then god.[/quote]
are you dumb or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunTour[/quote]

there was indexed stuff well before 1969.