144 bcd vs 130 bcd vs everything else.

For my next topic any valid reasons why 144 is better than 130?
I would think that smaller would be better to keep the weight of the crank/chainring combo down, yet 144 is the “official”. Thoughts?

No. All it comes down to is if you have 144 and race track, it’s easier to burrow chainrings from friends because it’s the “standard”.

You can find 130BCD 3/32 road rings for cheap/easy at used places though.

lets run 110 only because tarck just wants to be bmx anyway.

130 bcd 1/8" rings are kind of a pain in the ass to find. There’s TA Alize, and maybe a small handful more but none i can recall right now. I’m stoked to have found some campy strada cranks for dirt cheap in 144.

[quote=“beartrap”]For my next topic any valid reasons why 144 is better than 130?
I would think that smaller would be better to keep the weight of the crank/chainring combo down, yet 144 is the “official”. Thoughts?[/quote]

The reason it is official is because it makes the crank stiffer. There is a small amount of torsional flex in the frame under large power loads, so the chainline will become slightly off during those peak flex’s. And seeing as how the crank arm is stronger/stiffer than the actual ring, it reduces the odds that the chain’s tension will pull strip the ring off of the arms.

Hmmm…

sugino makes a bunch too, but yeah, 130bcd 1/8" combo doesn’t make a lot of sense. if you’re gonna run 130 cranks just use a 3/32" set-up and you’ll save yourself a lot of grief.

lol try 135 chainrings, thats what my miche cranks use

there are quite a few 135 campy rings running around though, and then you’re cool because you have a campy ring

i think they have since switched to 144

I prefer 130 because it allows a better range of rings and more in the size range I find useful. I am not too fussy about using 3/32 rings, but I also haven’t found it all that difficult to find 1/8 rings in 130bcd.

when i was using RD’s, i had a 3/32" setup, and rings were cheap and all over, but you definitely have to take into consideration that a lot of the time cheap road rings can be fairly un-round (not a huge deal, but a pain in the ass sometimes with chain tension).

also, tepr, yeah, miche has switched to 144 with the advanced crankset (which I am running now).

Haha I race and I didn’t burrow any rings at all last season.

I think it is imposible to find a 130bcd ring that is 1/8th and larger than 48t… So if you need that, dont get 130bcd.

I just use 144 because that’s what all the track cranks I have are drilled for. If I buy a Trek T1 this winter, I’ll have to swap the cranks out for something with a 144 BCD, because by now I have probably ten or more 1/8" 144 track chainrings.

144 definitely. I ride 130 and it’s a pain in the ass to find decent rings

Spécialités TA’s Alize Piste rings, 130bcd, 1/8", 44-52 t, ~$65ish.

i bought my TA specialties ring (130/49t) from bens for like 55 bucks IIRC, its seems really nice (wtf do i know about chainrings anyway). looks great too.

Cool! Those are the only ones I have seen…

try having 110.