2009 Cross Check, Long Haul Trucker, and Steamroller

I don’t think that’s so. If you don’t count your average cross/commuter bike like the CC, Rob Roy, San Jose, etc., then I think that most of the purpose-specific cross bikes sold are raced. While it’s certainly true about track and road bikes, I don’t think that most people dropping $1500+ on a CX bike don’t intend to race it.

I guess you can count them as that, but to me they’re the same as your Langster or Capo. They’re “track bikes,” in name only. Sure, you can race a Langster at the velodrome just as you could ride your San Jose at the local cross circuit, but in my mind, they’re in a separate category.

While I love my CC, I think the ‘Cross’ more accurately describes ‘cross town’ than ‘cross country’ for a majority of them. They are too heavy to race with seriously. Fun to ride on dirt track though, I did about 30-40 miles on dirt track this weekend on mine. Rode it there and back on the road/mup as well, no giant suv with bike rack needed!!

I built my crosscheck really beefy, with friction barcons, xt/a719 wheels and 700*32 tires. It’s heavy as hell for a race bike I guess, but for going a long way through bumfuck nowhere, i just love it.

Oh me too!

Is friction shifting in the back alright for racing? it seems like that would be terrible to rely on.

I wouldn’t say terrible but it definitely has disadvantages for racing. With a friction setup, if you shift into a gear without looking (especially if you shift over more than one or two cogs) and begin to hammer right away, if it’s not aligned properly, wacky things can happen. However, for everyday riding i’m into the friction—for me, that drop in performance is well offset by the convenience of not having to think about whether my indexing is lined up. I have the same da barcons that i think are spec’d on the new crosschecks and i pretty much never use the indexing function.

Yea I just figured it would be terrible for racing. I enjoy friction up front and indexed in the rear.

I love mine. It’s a true do anything bike. I generally commute on it but I am also doing a 3 day, 180 mile, off-road loaded tour over this weekend. For longer tours I would want the LHT but for 4 days or less it works just fine.

I like the white on the Steamroller.

Does anyone know when these new models will hit/typically hit the shelves?

I emailed surly about when new color steamroller comes out and they told me both cream and black steamrollers will be available in december.

Well done?

Good to know, thanks dzanot.

Did the Steamroller always have a bottle mount?