A safe space to complain about jackass humans

Iunno, much of our recycling makes it to recycling. We also use as little plastic as possible. We keep LDPE bags and such and deliver those to a dedicated recycler of that particular kind of plastic.

That’s great and all but

1 Like

No argument from me, there. My point is that my household has reduced our consumption as much as possible. The plastic that we do receive that makes up the most volume goes to a recycler that’s dedicated to handle that. We don’t use single-use plastics, etc.

In that vein, I got some of these the other day and they’re pretty neat:

BITD when I was dealing with actual compute-hardware, I visited a local manufacturer that produced fully built cabinets of hardware for various FAANG companies. They receive components in a tremendous amount of packaging. PU foam is most common. They had a melting machine onsite that would produce bricks of PU that they could then sell to be reused. I asked 'em about it. They said it cost roughly the same as it would to dispose of all the foam, but they felt better about it. Given that the foam went straight into dedicated bins and into the melting machine, the end product was very pure.

The point of the above revelations is that the pr campaign was a great success because it convinced people that they were responsible for plastic pollution rather than the petrochemical giants making handsome profits.

6 Likes

haha wtf

4 Likes

Industrial recycling is cool & effective
Single use aluminum cups are about the same level of horseshit as single use plastic cups. Hope you’re hanging on to those Heath.

2 Likes

At least aluminium does get recycled because it’s worth it financially. (From what I heard many years ago.) It’s still wasteful in terms of energy use of course.

I had to go to the bank for work and got to lock up at my favorite bike rack in the city. Thanks for the consideration J.P. Morgan!

4 Likes

thats a bad chase and a bad binnys

1 Like

Are those disposable aluminum cups? Interesting proposal, especially if the cost is similar to plastic. But I don’t really buy the part about keeping drinks colder, given that heat sinks are often made from aluminum

1 Like

Recyclable, yes. As for colder, I don’t know how they could make that assertion.

Regardless, they have just slightly more mass than an aluminum can, can be reused a number of times and are quite nice.

1 Like

yes all of our warehouse clients have big cardboard balers and recycle it all and get paid a non-zero amount of $ for it

looks about 4-5x as expensive as your typical plastic party cup - 40-50 cents each when you buy 'em by the 100 or more, as opposed to more like 10 cents each for a red plastic cup in similar bulk packs

but I guess the tradeoff is that you can probably rinse these out and re-use them a few times? And aluminum genuinely gets recycled - because it’s far cheaper to recycle aluminum than mine&refine new aluminum, so the incentives are there to do it.

yeah this is some marketing horseshit. “the cup feels cold in your hand so that means the drink inside is colder, right???”

1 Like

right. my mom always believed this and my dad was fond of telling me that’s incorrect but it’s important that your mother is happy

some of our station techs were spooked because after applying thermal compound between the case and the inner heat sink the PCs in our stations got hotter. that’s because they are getting rid of their heat!

2 Likes

I first thought they were insulated somehow after reading that stuff. Nope, just marketing BS.

Post can’t be empty.
There’s no good instance of either of those things atmo.

slow down there fella!!!

I calls em like I sees em, friendo.

i know we’ve moved on from nyc trash chat but

6 Likes

nyc is sooo fetch