A safe space to complain about jackass humans

However on the flip side most people in the Midwest ride without a helmet which will never look normal to me

I definitely seem to recall lane splitting is specifically legal in CA

glad to hear you’re okay. people sure do suck.

I think motorcycle riding is different when you take it up after years of riding bicycles in the street because you still ride like you’re invisible because you basically still are. On the other hand though you have the option of speeding up to get away that isn’t there with a bicycle. By going a little faster you get to mostly remove the getting plowed over from the back from the equation so you can focus on your front and sides. For that reason alone I feel safer on a moto in the city than a bicycle. Second factor being you are slightly larger and slightly more visible unless you wear only black or something which would be dumb.

1 Like

Oh shit! I think I saw a video of this online. They had like a race on some MTB trails and they were going embarrassingly slow and crashing on the most basic shit.

1 Like

Just checking in to say I’m very pleased that most Tarckers seem to have the same irrational hatred for those one-wheel contraptions as I do.

There’s a big social ride here and one guy always shows up in full DH protective gear, the other week he was literally putting his fist in the air while blasting Creed

3 Likes

I don’t want a one wheeler but they look like fun to me. What would be not fun about those?

2 Likes

Hitting a pothole or curb does not look fun

4 Likes

The skateboard dealies look pretty fun but the monowheel ones look stupid

One thing I like about the electric unicycles is that they really drive home how hard it is to improve on the basic bicycle/e-bike formula

The uni-dude in my neighborhood frequently wears a utilikilt

5 Likes

lmao of course he does

3 Likes

I guess the thing about skateboarding is, it’s very cool but very difficult, so there’s always going to be a market for expensive ways that allow people who are easily frustrated to spend a lot of money in order to still not be cool or good at skating.

Which I say as someone who tried a couple times to learn to skate and got frustrated and quit.

I also just don’t like novelty transport solutions. There’s so many actually good ones already! At best it’s all just very Elon Musk accidentally invents trains again.

2 Likes

Sometimes it isn’t about what is fun and isn’t fun. It’s about what is acceptable in a modern society and what isn’t.

2 Likes

It’s been said upthread, maybe even this thread, but every person I see traveling without a car is a win to me.

5 Likes

I’m sympathetic to the “fewer people in cars” line of thought but I do wonder how many people will really stick with these things, or move from using them to other forms of alternative transit. Right now they strike me a bit as very expensive toys that happen to have some mild transport functionality.

4 Likes

Ripping around a MTB trail ain’t replacing a car trip doe.

6 Likes

Imho bikes are cool at least in part because they’re that same equation flipped around: accessible, cheap, functional transport that occasionally is also an expensive toy.

1 Like

Electric skateboards start at the same price cheap bikes do. I’m failing to see the difference.

The one-wheels I’m talking about are definitely more pricey, but yea I guess it’s more that I’m questioning the sustainability and room to grow.

If they get a tech bro or a kid out of a car even for a couple nights or a few months maybe it’s worth it, but I don’t really see them as a long-term solution to anything important.

https://twitter.com/calebsaysthings/status/1576067797964058626

8 Likes
1 Like