A safe space to complain about jackass humans

Wut?

After the death, parish council committee took testimony from local cyclists, including the man who was riding with Amoroso when he was killed — but Chairman Mel Percy instead offered new proposed rules for cyclists rather than for drivers, the Advocate reported. His proposals include:

• Putting a laser device at the front and rear bikes in a group ride to warn cyclists of oncoming vehicles.

Jfc did you read those rules?

I’m curious how many are injured in hunting accidents and whether they were wearing their 2.78sqft of hi viz clothing

• Requiring cyclists to wear an outer garment with at least 400 square inches (2.78 square feet) of a high-visibility, fluorescent color. Percy said he lifted the wording from the state’s hunting regulations, with a modification on the color.
  • Requiring lights on the rear of bikes that are visible for one mile. [ Editor’s note : A mile ? LOL wut?]
  • Putting a laser device at the front and rear bikes in a group ride to warn cyclists of oncoming vehicles.
  • Demanding rear-view mirrors on bicycle handlebars or riders’ helmets.
  • Requiring cyclists to ride in single-file formations, within two feet of the right-hand pavement edge.

They’re basically going to ban cycling.

Next: you can only ride a bicycle on a private road with your bicycle securely strapped to the back of your mate’s ute. You both must be wearing high vis vests, helmets, and full motocross padding.

Dear boulder-area strava KOM-chasers who ride like assholes and get bitchy with my fiancee when she’s slower than you are, but there isn’t a safe place to pass so you burn her and act like you’re late for your first born child’s birthing:

I hate you all and you will die alone.

4 Likes

from what i hear, boulder-area cycling seems worse than almost anywhere else because of the cyclists, not the drivers

1 Like

Probably. This was douchey mountain bikers though.

Boulder mountain bikers don’t yield, and are too concerned with their Strava scores to slow down when it’s the right thing to do.

This is exactly what happened. Like 3 times in 10 minutes.

I mean, god forbid my (mildly) slower fiancée enjoy the trails. I forgot it was a racetrack :neutral_face:

It’s especially bad around the Dirty Bismarck, Marshall Mesa, and Doudy Draw/Spring Brook areas.

Don’t even get me started on the dudes who think that yielding means riding four feet off the trail.

I was gonna say cyclists here seem pretty courteous but then this morning I was passing a roadie on a dirt road on my cruiser with music playing and he got offended and tried to cat 6 me.

Also nobody waves hello

I’ve had decent luck with road riding up there, although I don’t do as much as I’d like to.

come ride some grav with meeee

Maybe, it’s really difficult to convince me to come up to Boulder though :slight_smile: I’ll probably have more weekends free once it starts getting colder. Maybe we should get a den/bou/foco tarckup?

:colbert:
lol yeah let’s tarckup tho
I still wanna come down for a Tuesday night ride!
Soon

I love it when people have music playing. Ran into a highschool MTB team at North Table Mountain last week, and one of the kids had tunes playing. Nothing beats the time when a guy passed me at Betasso while blasting James Brown (Get Up/Like a Sex Machine) from a bluetooth speaker dangling from his waist pack.

2 Likes

I got in a verbal altrication with a shitty old asshole on a bike with a tiny gas engine kludged onto it after I told him he shouldn’t be riding his motorcycle in the bike lane.
Feels bad man.

1 Like

I personally can’t stand the tiny speaker out loud music. Why is this a thing when you can earbud for way better sound quality and really not miss that much in the way of surrounding noise?
#offamylawn
< /rant>

1 Like

I’m usually pretty respectful of people around me when using the bluetooth speaker. Always pause it at busy stop lights where cyclists pile up and I primarily use it when nobody is around on empty trails or stretches of bikeless car-hell highway.
They have completely transformed bike commuting for me and made it much easier to stay sane everyday. I would have a hard time giving up my speaker since it keeps me mentally stimulated during the long rides.

For me it ultimately comes down to the fact that any jagoff in an automobile is given full permission by society to brap their deafening auto noise all over town therefore I damn well have the right to listen to my podcasts and music in that space to overpower their sound pollution.

I get why, in certain spaces, they tend to be obnoxious. Totally understand complaints of them on quiet hiking trails or small beaches where they are hard to avoid while enjoying the limited space. Speakers on public transit are really annoying in such an enclosed space. However, at this point, humans are pretty good at generating a variety of noise pollution outside of bluetooth speakers so it comes down to a case by case basis.

I did test out these bone conduction headphones the other day and was pretty impressed. I think they have potential to be a bluetooth speaker replacement that doesn’t completely block out the outside world. I’ve tried ear buds a couple of times and there is no way I would consider using them since they completely disconnect me from the world.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve been wearing earbuds on long rides because I’m tired of talking to myself