AB's "Not Sure" & "Average" & "huh?" thread

TC wife had a Nexus 8 speed on a gas pipe Linus, and it was fine. I’ve used a sturmey Archer for a summer on a vintage raliegh, and it was fine. I think internal gears have their place on fuck around and commuter bikes, but it is my experience that deranglers are easier to manage when actually getting somewhere. Also Lee’s eyewateringly expensive puggsley build with the rohloff left me scratching my head. It was fine, but not good, and he sold it and went back to deranglers. In my experience, shopbros love IGH hubs more than anyone, and they love weird ones.

The Jones I’m riding has 135mm spacing up front, but it’s not the same (disc/rotor) spacing used on 135mm rear hubs. Paul made a compatible hub, and I snatched up the very last one that he had, but it’s a 28H and finding a matching plus/fat rim is a PITA.

I got kinda excited when I saw the Tumbleweed bikes since I have a couple sets of Pugsley wheels. But, my fat rims are 80mm, my drivetrain is derailler, and I’d have to get the rear wheel rebuilt so they are actually less useful than just buying another backup pugsley frame

[quote=Rentable Faxmachine]http://www.tumbleweed.cc/bikes/

“The Prospector ships with a 135mm spaced chromoly fork with rear disc brake spacing. This allows for drivetrain redundancy, since the front and rear wheels are swappable. For example, one could run a Rohloff hub in the rear and a single speed hub in the front for a long trip in a remote location without access to any bike shops.”

[/quote]

Tumbleweed bikes have a dangler hanger, so you can run normal gears. In that case having a backup SS hub up front makes a tiny amount of sense, in that it’s highly unlikely you’ll ever need it BUT…

And I’ve seen many wheels go super out of true but still be “sorta” rideable if they’re the front wheels, because there’s a lot more space in the pokes.

Spotted at Recycled Cycles in Seattle.

Cannot lie- I love the color, double downtube, and rad 80s “Bicycling Techniques” font. I can do without the pink rims.

I miss my IRO group buy that had pink aeroheads to miche hubs.
Pretty into it if they put some knobbies on there.

i love the subtle purple fade

That thing is dope. No question about it.

That was my friend’s bike. He worked there forever, but is finishing up his school stuff now, so I guess he traded it in.

I was gonna say, I know I’ve seen that thing before.

I’d ride it

[quote=chairmandave]Spotted at Recycled Cycles in Seattle.

Cannot lie- I love the color, double downtube, and rad 80s “Bicycling Techniques” font. I can do without the pink rims.[/quote]

Uhhh this bike is fucking awesome

I’m not sure that this does anything besides look interesting.

I saw it and thought it was the definition of “Not Sure” and “Average” and “Huh”

I would be afraid of crushing that ring…

is that tonic fab or calfee?

Tonic

Something something passive suspension. I’ve seen no tests that show it works, but that seems to be the vague claim.

clearly it’s designed to be a spring, but I’m not buying it that it works that way to any noticeable effect.