All things MTB (old)

What’s basically a YT Jeffsy AL but longer? Looking for about 460 reach in a large, ~140mm travel.

Canyon Spectral AL?

456 reach, 150/140 F/R

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/spectral/2018/spectral-al-6-0

Transition had 475 reach for a large frame in the Smuggler or Scout.
Devinci has a 464 reach for a large Troy.
Pivot has a 460 reach on the 29er Switchblade, but 450 on the 27.5 model.

Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, and Giant are around 450 in a large.

Scott Genius has 466-472 mm reach depending on bb setting

Kona process?

Thought about a Process 153 but seems slightly overkill.

Liking the Scott Genius, though looking at the numbers it’s pretty close to a Process 153 so shrug.

Also like the Transition Scout, could go with B+ I guess.

No B+ , please.

women’s DH WC race was way better than the mens at ft willy, atmo.

For sure.
But French celebration in UK was pretty fun.

Did some Blue Mountain Bike park today. Followed some friends on dh bikes down the dh course. Not too bad (mostly just loose slatey rock). All of them pulled away in parts that kinda surprised me. Kinda want to try a dh bike.
But did a drop that looked nutty last year. And dude in front of me landed and nearly crashed. Not the sound you want to hear as you are about to drop in.

Yeah that was some action! Atherton makin a 3rd with no chain is pretty nuts on that track…

Really stoked for Reese Wilson getting 4th in the men’s as a privateer, that’s not an easy feat!

with rachel no longer dominating everyone, it sure does feel like tahnee and myriam have both gotten a confidence boost. both are just absolutely slaying it right now. really wonder what myriam could have done without that little crash.

cecil ravanel is still my hero though. just so awesome.

Yeah I whole heartedly agree. Felt pretty gutted for Rachel though, she would really have had her “comeback/revenge” if it wasn’t for that chain-snap.

Anyone ever swap the Xfusion saddle rail clamp for a Thomson one? Looks like it would work. The xfusion one is allowing this saddle I got to creak maniacally.

[quote=aerobear]with rachel no longer dominating everyone, it sure does feel like tahnee and myriam have both gotten a confidence boost. both are just absolutely slaying it right now. really wonder what myriam could have done without that little crash.

cecil ravanel is still my hero though. just so awesome.[/quote]
I feel like Rachel put everyone on notice. Third with no chain on a course with an uphill section. Not to mention a momentum-sapping crash right where she needed to carry speed, mostly because she was trying to no-brake a sketchy section.

She hit the jumps before the finish line better than almost anyone, just catching the backsides perfectly.

If this is any indication of where she’s at, then everyone else might be more fucked than ever, even if they’re riding better than ever.

i raced mountain bikes last night. i haven’t raced anything in 2018 and due to work travel, haven’t trained much either. fortunately the course was pretty flat even by western NY standards. finished second in the sport field! i have to take two weeks off (more travel) but the last race of the series i’m hoping i can win, i went out slow because i’d never ridden the course and hadn’t warmed up.

[quote=deadforkinglast][quote=aerobear]with rachel no longer dominating everyone, it sure does feel like tahnee and myriam have both gotten a confidence boost. both are just absolutely slaying it right now. really wonder what myriam could have done without that little crash.

cecil ravanel is still my hero though. just so awesome.[/quote]
I feel like Rachel put everyone on notice. Third with no chain on a course with an uphill section. Not to mention a momentum-sapping crash right where she needed to carry speed, mostly because she was trying to no-brake a sketchy section.

She hit the jumps before the finish line better than almost anyone, just catching the backsides perfectly.

If this is any indication of where she’s at, then everyone else might be more fucked than ever, even if they’re riding better than ever.[/quote]
Just watching the races. So good. I watched the last half hour of the women’s race and didn’t realize how fast Seagrave was until I watched her run again and compared it to everyone else. Just so smooth.

What’s with the broken chains lately (have there actually been more?)? Its it just a matter of more cogs = thinner plates = maybe weaker chains? Or can we go into conspiracy land where people are purposefully weakening their chains so they do the track chainless for some reason? Like that racer a bunch of years ago who’s TT bike was underweight just before the start ramp. He missed his start time, but then all the news was about a TT bike that was under the UCI limit.

Kinda like the road bike/gravel bike discussion in the blog thread, DH bikes are a special animal. No one is on the 12sp pie plate setups. Most of the pros are still running 7 or 8 speed drivetrains. Here’s Gwin’s current setup:

Tahnee is using a Saint 10sp setup with a road cassette:

Mechanicals are a part of racing, but I don’t think there are more chain breaks than on average. As far as I know, there isn’t a rule against running without a chain. You’re just a severe disadvantage if you can’t pedal through the flatter sections. I know in pump track competitions, you have to ride without a chain.

To be clear they aren’t using 7sp parts, but 7-of-10 sprockets on hubs with a short cassette body/wide right flange

So, 10s chains probably? I don’t see why they’d use 11s chains if they didn’t have to. I know there’s a reason for dh bikes to be light, but I doubt they’re counting grams.
If there really aren’t more broken chains, then I guess there’s no point in discussing it.

I mean, there were several broken chains at this race and usually there are none, so I’d say it was a weird day for that.

Rob and Claudio were talking in the booth about how it might have been the shape of the start ramp, which had a compression at the bottom. When a bike’s suspension is compressed, some bikes’ rear-centers get shorter and some get longer (chain growth), depending on the design. Maybe the torque of a professional athlete pedaling as hard as they possibly could combined with the chain growth on some of the suspension designs was enough force to break a chain.

It would make sense that it wouldn’t be an issue until race day, since nobody would be pedaling that hard out of the gate except on a race run.