All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

Just tried to put 28 psi into my 27.2 x-fusion hilo. Boy was that a bad idea. Seems no damage was done but I had to take it down to 3-5 psi before it would budge again, and figure out how to depress it enough to cycle the oil into the right place so I wouldn’t blow it all out of the post. Seems like there is no documentation of this post on the internet and the service docs I pulled off their site via achive.org are very, very wrong.

On the plus side, I don’t have to buy a dropper post because all this one needed to work correctly was a couple of psi.

@frank_doktor you had and warrantied or serviced a more mtb oriented clamp diameter of this post, didn’t you?

did they mean 28kPa?

I don’t know, but looking at the unit conversion that sort of makes sense. I’m also reading about people putting this much air into these on the internet and not saying that they blew their post up.

yeah, I searched after and found a few reviews that needed to inflate >28psi (to low 30s) to get them to work properly. But also 100psi will deform the internals.

1 Like

Another possibility is that my pump gauge is busted.

Welcome to Tarck LLC Engineering consultancy, where we will calibrate your shock pumps, spoke tension gauges and butt dyno.

2 Likes

No, never dealt with that one. I know i bought some cheap 27.2 external for sup but she never used it.

This is indeed a 27.2 external for cursed Jeff Jones. It was almost $200 tho smdh

I think I’ve about zeroed in on a Salsa Horsethief as next bike.
When I click on the various configurations on the website, the SX Eagle model lists as 2020, but the SLX model lists as 2019 and is 11 speed SLX. Anybody a Salsa dealer? Anybody know when Salsa drops updated Shimano 2020 spec?

Fork is kinda sucky tho too. I don’t even know.

What tickles your fancy on the Salsa?
I mean it’s kinda outdated on the trail-geo side, it kinda reads as a “over forked/damped xc-race bike” geometry wise. Not what you want for a modern trail bike, the parts that sticks out to me is the hella slack seat tube and not that slack head tube. No matter the flip chip you can’t get around that and as you mentioned the spec isn’t all that…
I’d have a close hard look at Norco’s Optic which by all means seems like a full on trail party bike:

@frank_doktor & @motorbacon can tell you all about how great the Trance 29 is.

I wouldn’t buy a Salsa mtb, they are just not that great of a brand keeping up with the times. If you specify a bit more on what you are after we can throw some suggestions out for you. But from the Horsethief I gather: 29er, mid travel-ish and what you would call a trail bike at around 3ish bongs?

3 Likes

It’s really strange that the salsa is specd with a short offset fork also, considering the geometry.

Yeah also this.

Yeah.

• BB on the higher side- there are a lot of stone walls and logs to clear and too low BB sucks.
  • Pedals well- I’m fat and slow and need to keep up on climbs. Was looking at DW link, Maestro, or Split Pivot bikes.
  • I don’t really ‘shred.’ I’m not good at jumps. I feel like a Reign or a Ripmo AF might be too much bike.

Giant sorta threw put me off with Trance having 25 internal rims and the Reign having 30 internal. I equate the skinnier rims with a more XC bike. Santa Cruz does the same with Hightower and Tallboy. Maybe I’m reading too much into it? Santa Cruz looks cool, and seems more mid-travel, just not sure how efficiently they pedal.

IME, santa cruz pedals OK. i found my ibis pedaled much better. a ripley would tick all your boxes except price…

1 Like

Maybe I should get my money right and wait for a used Ripley to pop up on PB or ebay.

The Trance has heavy cross-country DNA from getting developed by/with Adam Craig. Think of it as a de-tuned enduro bike for XC riding. There’s a bunch of videos on YT where they talk about their prototyping and tuning process.

BB looks lower on the Ibises (hard to tell, they list height not drop. Listed as 335 for Ripley with 2.5s. By contrast, SC Tallboy lists 335 with 38 bb drop. Trance has 35mm drop, Reign is 30, Horsethief/Hightower is 29).

I guess I could just factor in the cost of throwing carbon 30mm inner rims on a Trance 29?

That would be pretty sweet, but is 5mm of rim width really going to hold you back?

Kona process 134 29? If that’s too much, Hei Hei?

5mm of rim totally transformed my hardtail into a ripper.

1 Like