Am I old or out of shape?

The closest I’ve found to nuun is high five which is out of the UK. More magnesium, less other things and has caffeinated varieties. Purchased through Chain Reaction and owned by Associated British Foods, best I can tell.

high five:

nuun:

3 Likes

Since I moved to Atlanta my riding dropped drastically. There are good trails here but I don’t live that close to them

1 Like

Similar strategy over here. Getting out for shorter rides (~25km) has helped build my fitness so that 100km is doable without too much pain. I’ve also cut out most sugar, and am drinking less, which has definitely helped. Also stretching.

1 Like

I just rode 40 miles for the first time in a long time, 20 out with 600’ elevation, ate a sandwich (I fucking love my half frame bag, I can bring food anywhere!) and had a coffee and rode back the same way, I need to consider drinking something other than water because I’m feeling a bit dehydrated now. Knees and back are feeling a bit old but all of my 10 mile rides in regular shorts paid off because my taint feels just fine.

6 Likes

i don’t think i’ve donned a bib in 2 years now and didn’t a ton for the year before that. done some 20-30mi rides no problem. just gotta build the taint-durance before it gets too swampy out

1 Like

I’ve decided my 25km lunch rides just get regular shorts/no bib, and I wear a fluro jersey to be seen. Makes putting on bibs for a longer ride feel like luxury.

3 Likes

relevant I guess I’m picking up my previous plan of doing some kind of longish charity ride every year just to remind my body of what’s what. 30 miles, then 34 (meant to do more) is all I got for prep now. Hopefully sitting down and eating stuff every 15-20 miles, charity ride style, will get me through my metric century, but damn picking up the miles week to week was not what it used to be.

I went for a 9 mile ride with 700ft of climbing and a couple of 10%+ stretches three days ago. My back is on fire and I can’t make it stop.

1 Like

time to hit the gym broseph, get pumped!

sarcasm aside, I’ve found core exercises like squats, yoga, and pilates to really help with back problems.

5 Likes

Yeah. Just a lot easier to not do any of that and then complain about my body after every time I exercise.

I’ve done regular core workouts on and off for years. I’m hoping Cornelia and I are going to get into regular evening workouts once school starts.

6 Likes

Everyone’s back is different but I hurt my back from stopping in my hardest gear and then attempting to get going again on a hill. I took a week off the bike and it wasn’t getting better, so finally I said F it and went for a ride. And it fixed itself in one ride

1 Like

At my work we do internet pilates twice a week and yoga 2-3 times a week. I usually go for the pilates cos I get bored with the yoga. I accidentally almost did a headstand a few months back, so started working on them, and got up to 2.5 mins. Then a couple of weeks back I over balanced and squished my neck real bad. Then my back went out. Ha ha. Anyway, I’ve had back issues for the last 32 years, and the thing that actually feels quite therapeutic to me is climbing a steep hill standing up at a slow cadence. It could be partially in my head, as it means I can still do what I love, riding my bike. Downhills with no load on the pedals is not the best feeling tho. Too much jarring. You gotta have that resistance to get all the muscles engaged for support.

1 Like

Do you do yogurt with Andrea

She’s great

Yeah, I used to. I really liked her style for some reason. But these days I just do whatever they are doing in the class.

I took it lazy for about 3.5-4 years and got back into it this October. Got a smart trainer so I’d have no weather excuses to lean on and bought a couple Dylan Johnson training plans (base training and ftp boost) as I really had no idea what I was doing wrt structured training. Yes, riding 8+ hours a week helped a ton, but nothing like the strength training routine I started doing. My legs never blow up anymore. Like ever, heart can’t keep up with them.

Twice a week (45-50 minutes with 2 minute rests between sets):
2-3 minute warmup of jumping jacks and mountain climbers
10 unweighted squats
6x3 kettle squats
6x2 sumo squat and thrust
6 single leg dead lifts, each side
10 weighted lunges , each side
15 box steps, each side
10x3 push-ups
20x2 sit-ups
15 supermans
1 minute plank