asploded bike parts thread

Mini bike mountain

Got my friend to send a higher res photo:

Couple good ones from this week. First two are generally insignificant, but were the same bike and only about 1/3 of the issues. Nice service bill from a Caviar kid delivering on a hybrid.

that bottom one is impressive.

Good one

I think the cold killed my Garmin screen.

I’ve ridden in the 20s and upper teens. How cold?

I think the coldest I tried to use it in was around -5, but the battery died almost immediately.
Today was about 1 when I noticed it.

Had the same happen to my iPhone skiing. Battery nearly died and then got a message saying the phone was outside of safe operating temps. Came back to life when it thawed.

My iPhone turns off all the damn time below freezing. Stupid California phones.

Yeah it took literally one second for my phone to drop from 100% to 0% the other day when I got out of the car to start my MTB ride in -3 temps.

I thought the cold phone thing was just my crappy old phone.

Nope mine too it fucking sucks

makes me feel a little better that it just isn’t my shitty old phone that immediately shuts off in the cold.

Most, all(?), batteries do that. On shoots in the cold we keep like 5 spares in our inner most pockets and rotate them.

Never had an issue with any of my phones before getting an iphone. It used to be my one minor moment of triumph on winter bike rides. I’m sure all batteries do it at some point but iphones are notoriously shitty.

It’s summer here and I feel your pain, my phone (galaxy s5) has recently decided to shut down and boot loop as soon as there’s any load much above idle on the battery, like taking a photo, even if it’s indicating 90%+, instantly drops to 1% and dies. Assume it’s the battery and not the phone, hope a replacement cell fixes it, even though every ‘genuine’ replacement is clearly a fake.

the iPhone 8 I picked up hasn’t done the cold weathery battery drainy problem for me…yet

The key is to have a crappy phone that has a processor with inadequate heat sinking so it gets nice and hot when you make a call to keep the battery warm