asploded bike parts thread

The other thing I learned is that taking your dead, cold phone and plugging it in to wake it up makes the problem worse, since apparently charging s cold lithium battery causes damage. So really you should let it warm up to room temperature before charging.

time to get this thread back on track

shifting is much improved now.

#thanksshimano

Seriously. How?

A bit of no surgery from which there was no return.

half of the kickstand on my cargo bike fell off today. Looked down while riding, one side was jiggling around but the other side wasn’t. Then noticed the jiggling side was also hanging a lot lower than the other side.

Yo pants did you make those… idk what to call them, soft wall tensioning thingies along the sides of the cargo bed? Seems like a really smart idea. Every give people rides on the bike with em? Or any particular things for making people not fall sideways off a cargo bike bed?

[quote=Shortpants]half of the kickstand on my cargo bike fell off today. Looked down while riding, one side was jiggling around but the other side wasn’t. Then noticed the jiggling side was also hanging a lot lower than the other side.

[/quote]

[h6]gotcha bitch[/h6]

I did make them. They need some refinement as the bottom lip is pretty loosey goosey and while the boxes I had in the one photo are fine it could potentially allow something to slip through the bottom and off the bed. I want the walls to be secure and taught but able to be dropped down for ease of cargo loading and sitting and drinking a coffee because the bullitt makes a nice bench when on standby.

I have given people rides but it’s only fun for the first few blocks. Then it’s really heavy and weird. Getting a ride is pretty great though. Are you thinking of riding a kid around on it? Adults just hold on and are heavy and smart enough to not fly off the bed even on sharp turns.

Nah, just my wife around the neighborhood occasionally. If kids are in the future someday I’ll build a bakfiets box thingy.

I see one of those parked near my building on a daily basis with a little wooden box with a seat in it, clearly a daily rugrat carrier.
There was even a roof on it one day. I finally met the guy who rides it and he loves it.

[quote=b-roll]I see one of those parked near my building on a daily basis with a little wooden box with a seat in it, clearly a daily rugrat carrier.
There was even a roof on it one day. I finally met the guy who rides it and he loves it.[/quote]

Bullitt is our daily dual rugrat carrier - I rigged up a standard kids seat that comes on/off easily so the cargo area is still available.

If you’re on the fence, the Bullitt is far and away best bike purchase i’ve ever made. Even without kids I use it for everything.

More here

[quote=Shortpants]half of the kickstand on my cargo bike fell off today. Looked down while riding, one side was jiggling around but the other side wasn’t. Then noticed the jiggling side was also hanging a lot lower than the other side.
[/quote]

btw, i’m told this isn’t uncommon. LvH sells a CroMo replacement I believe

Yeah I got a chromo one coming from Splendid this week.

I decided to try setting up doubed botte cages on the downtube of my bike. I wondered if it would be too much leverage on the bottle cage bosses, too much weight. For a few weeks it seemed as if it was working, and I thought that I had a good solution to carrying lots of water during the hot season.

Like Icarus, I engaged too boldly with my techne, and after a few bumps and jostles, the entire bracket pulled free, taking the downtube bosses, cages, and bottles with them. I’m bummed, but not totally surprised. Silver lining: I get to learn how to rivnut a frame, and will probably add a couple more thread inserts for mounting an internally stiffened frame bag.

Were you riding a rocky trail or something? I’m pretty surprised the bosses came out.

That was a pretty common failure mode back in the days of water bottle battery packs (both ways, in the snow).

no, but I’d bumped it a few times. the material around the bosses was definitely the weakest part of the system.

Wow. How many litres did you have hanging off it? I’ve not seen that happen with the kiwi variant double bottle mount, and not all of them run turdly buttways.

1.5l total, in two bottles. It’s possible that I clobbered the hell out of it at some point without noticing, but I’m usually pretty aware of what my bikes are doing.