Average price of headset installation

I never have work done by a shop but I need a threaded headset installed and I was quoted $25 for a Ritchey headset and $25 for the work. Is that about right or should I keep looking? It is on a bare, used frame so no removal of anything required.

This I’d actually like to know.

Recycled Cycles charged me $20, and that included a face/ream job. I’m not sure if that’s the going rate down there, but that’s what they quoted me.

i got quoted 40 for a threadless headset recently.
$10 to press the cups, and i went with that, i can do the rest.

Make your own headset press, they’re really cheap and easy to make.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=diy+headset+press&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Any of the first few have good photos/text.

Of course, if you need reaming/facing done you’ll still have to get that done at the store.

[quote=wotan]Make your own headset press, they’re really cheap and easy to make.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=diy+headset+press&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Any of the first few have good photos/text.

Of course, if you need reaming/facing done you’ll still have to get that done at the store.[/quote]

This is the best way to do it IMO. Only tip I can give though if you do make your own is to go with a bigger size bolt and washers to make the press, this way the pressure is spread out more evenly as you install and there’s less of a chance you will ruin the threads on your homemade press.

this belongs in dumb questions thread

and that homemade headset press seems sketchy unless its for a cheapo headset

i paid $30 for a headset install / ream face.

i used a hammer.
works fine

The frame should be a bigger worry than the headset.

There’s a lot of debate about this when the fact is, one can likely just bang the cups in with a mallet and go. The civilized way to do it is to use a headset press. Some folks have homemade contraptions to do it. In the end, the only difference it will make is bearing longevity. Your bearings will either last a long time, or a really long time, provided that weather doesn’t get to them first.

You are correct, this does belong in the dumb questions thread.

Is there a good online tutorial for this sort of thing? I have been having a hard time with a threaded headset (it keeps coming loose) and I should be able to figure it out with some good photos and instructions.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=127

There’s a lot of debate about this when the fact is, one can likely just bang the cups in with a mallet and go. The civilized way to do it is to use a headset press. Some folks have homemade contraptions to do it. In the end, the only difference it will make is bearing longevity. Your bearings will either last a long time, or a really long time, provided that weather doesn’t get to them first.

You are correct, this does belong in the dumb questions thread.[/quote]

Yeah, if I have to press in a headset at home (and don’t feel like dragging my bike to work), I just tap the headset in with a piece of scrap wood and a rubber mallet. I’ve pressed in Chris Kings and Cane Creeks without incident.

$10-$25 'round here.

I’m really leaning toward doing it myself now, thanks!

it seems 28.75 is the average

I did the FSA on my Jury frame myself with a yellow pages and mallet because, well, it’s a cheap frame and a cheap headset. However I’m going to have the LBS put the NOS Dura Ace into the De Rosa for exactly the opposite reasons, it will cost $20.

I usually clean up the headtube surfaces by draw filing and then using a little emery paper on the inside surfaces just to make sure the metal is clean and smooth. Grease up the cups and bang 'em home.