Best/Most Memorable Races/Check Points

Im putting on an Alley Cat with a buddy and were aiming for it to be the biggest one MKE has seen in a while. Were trying to draw everyone out before winter and I really want it to be a good time for everyone. We have a lot of large prizes coming in from our sponsors (Milwaukee, Alien, IRO, Chrome, etc.) and I could use some input. Ive raced in them before but Ive never put one on.

So for those of you that race at events like this what have been the most memorable moments of the races? The best prizes? Most creative check points? How many miles was it? Any tips or pointers are much appreciated. Let me know if you have any good stories.

Any Tarckers think they can make it out? Its on November 22nd!

trade shoes.
you gotta trade shoes with someone till the next checkpoint. or on the same note, heels. get a bunch of heels from a thrift store or your moms closet or something, make everyone ride a leg in heels. make sure you find some hooker boots.
anything that involves clothing change is badass. dresses are fun too.

We did a checkpoint at a race last weekend where the first person that arrived had to do a task then decide the fate of the riders behind them.

do you have a theme for the race? that kind of helps, my favorites have been ones that played off of their themes well. I.E. at a summer themed race you had to do a slip n slide at one checkpoint. at another one with a 7 deadly sins theme each stop corresponded with one of the sins. the one for gluttony was an old country buffet and you had to eat 10 saltines without water before you could move on.

going out for a pass at the varsity race was awesome. the whole race was high school football themed.

http://www.bikekitchen.org/tdc/

We had fun on our 6/6/6 race. We shot people in the ass with a BB gun, made people take a big swig of some super fucking hot wing sauce, you had to throw a knife and have it stick in a stump, climb 10 flights of stairs at this abandoned building that obviously gave everyone flats from the glass, and we put one of the checkpoints a good 40 blocks out of the way.

Typing this stuff out makes it sound kind of lame, but it was a ton of fun.

i’ve always been into the idea of a race that sets out to completely punish all the racers. i remember on BF reading about some pretty awesome checkpoint ideas along those lines, but i’ve since forgotten them…

pants trade.
or just make them take their pants off and turn em inside out or backwards or something.
I want to have a man-themed race really bad. Like, for one checkpoint you have to smash a bottle to get the next checkpoint out, do some pushups, crawl in the mud, smash a can on your forehead, catch a football, etc.
I think having people get their check point initials on their chests in marker would be badass.

Hahaha the man race would go over reeeeallllyyy well in a place like Seattle.

at one of my check points there was someone with a bottle of ever clear vodka and a bottle of tabasco…you had to take a shot of one, in order to get your stamp. It was the drop dead race, and it made people want to drop…I mean it criss crossed the east side about 12 times…people hated me for awhile after that

Switch right and left shoes til the next checkpoint.

Carry a slice of pizza from one checkpoint to the other, then eat it. (but not knowing you were going to have to eat it)

“Name that Beer” checkpoint, where you are poured a mystery beer and have to guess what it is. If you’re wrong, you drink another beer.

For sXe kids…name that olive oil brand.

just kidding :bear:

[quote=“snarcky varcking”]Switch right and left shoes til the next checkpoint.

Carry a slice of pizza from one checkpoint to the other, then eat it. (but not knowing you were going to have to eat it)[/quote]

carry an open cup of coffee from one checkpoint to the other.
so many people would end up wearing that shit.

any skid stopping = coffee in your face. would it be a rule that you have to have some coffee left at the next checkpoint? if not everyone could just dump that shit.

At the Coffee Cat in Portland you had to ride to 5 checkpoints/coffee shops and down a full cup at each. When I raced it two summers ago a couple people ended up puking on the sprint to the finish.

[quote=“tarckatina”]any skid stopping = coffee in your face. would it be a rule that you have to have some coffee left at the next checkpoint? if not everyone could just dump that shit.

At the Coffee Cat in Portland you had to ride to 5 checkpoints/coffee shops and down a full cup at each. When I raced it two summers ago a couple people ended up puking on the sprint to the finish.[/quote]

You could go wherever you wanted with the coffee left/not idea.

07/07/07 was all based around luck. a lot of rolling of dice. Playing craps, poker, etc. At one point, you rolled dice to determine what can you ate “food” out of. There was beans and greens and spam, but also dog food, peppers, and mystery can, which they wouldn’t let you see till you’d taken a bite. For veggie kids, you had to hope you rolled a veggie can. If you didn’t eat it, you didn’t get points for the checkpoint.

My favorite kind of race. I’ve got kind of a reputation going in atlanta. Not so much for punishing checkpoints, but for long/difficult courses. Like 62 miles and 5000ft of climbing or 30 miles of linked back alleys and cobblestone streets. Then there’s the 30 mile out and back with a 1.3 mile uphill run in the middle.

oh playing cee-lo at a checkpoint in north philly was fun too.

that’s what made me barf. that shit was fun as hell.

i hope you kids all make it out to les’ halloween race. if it’s anything like his drop dead races, it’s gonna be awesome.