Bicycle Messenger Rollcall

Who works on the street? Where are you working? For who? How long have you been doing it?

I’ve been working for Courrier Rapide in Montreal since September 2005.

I started last year around this time, so I’ve been at it a year.

I’ve worked for Lasership(Lasershit), and Cyclehawk. Currently I am not doing fulltime work. I quit where I was at last (Lasershit) because of dispatcher problems and a couple other bullshit actions on their part.

I just happened to quit at the wrong time. Summer is damn slow here and companies don’t start hiring until September or so. So currently I’ve been helping out a friend here and there who has his own clients. Just not enough work to have me out everyday and all day.

The economy here is really putting a hole in the courier business. Now it’s pretty common to see a few of us on standby for upwards of 45 minutes. Pretty shitty, seeing as though nothing in this city i getting cheaper.

anyone else?

I work for a property management company making deliveries to buildings and lists of required maintainance.
I’m not tecnically a courier, but I do ride my bike around all day for work.
I get payed by the hour.

i know a guy who used to know a guy who’s brother used to mess in the 90’s

[quote=“JACQUES”]Who works on the street? Where are you working? For who? How long have you been doing it?

I’ve been working for Courrier Rapide in Montreal since September 2005.[/quote]

What is the pay like for a messenger up there?

all of my messenger friends make good money but spend a good portion of it on their higher nutritional needs (more food). also, they’re always tired and smelly.

holler!

All of the couriers I knew in boston spent their money on loads of drugs.

I was unaware of this but apparently 5 PB&Js and a line of coke is all a courier needs to ride for the day.

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]I work for a property management company making deliveries to buildings and lists of required maintainance.
I’m not tecnically a courier, but I do ride my bike around all day for work.
I get payed by the hour.[/quote]

Still counts.

Doesn’t count.

Doesn’t count.[/quote]

Even if he is a really strong rider and a great guy?

I make between 500 and 550 working 9 to 4:30. I normally take a half hour lunch too. I also do a lot of long-distance stuff which a lot of people are too lazy to do.

What are you making?

500 really?
brut ou net? si tu me repond net ma laisser ma femme et mon petit pis demenager a Montreal estie.
Je suis technologue en architecture a Gatineau pis je fait 600 net par semaine. Pis je fait du 7 a 5.

yes- on and off in boston since 06

although i’m not really proud to admit it.

[quote=“carail”]500 really?
brut ou net? si tu me repond net ma laisser ma femme et mon petit pis demenager a Montreal estie.
Je suis technologue en architecture a Gatineau pis je fait 600 net par semaine. Pis je fait du 7 a 5.[/quote]

Brut. Faut aussi dire que ça fait trois ans que j’travaille pis que ma première année j’faisais pas ben plus que la moitié de ça.

I make between 500 and 550 working 9 to 4:30. I normally take a half hour lunch too. I also do a lot of long-distance stuff which a lot of people are too lazy to do.

What are you making?[/quote]

I was making just over 450 USD a week, working 10-5/5:30. I had a route so I always had work.

I’d say the average for a messenger down here is around 550-750/week when its busy. That’s what you’d make at one of the better companies. Nowadays though, especially this summer. I spoke to a friend of mine the other day and he said it’s been $75-90 days.

Any of ya’ll goin to NACCC?

I’m considering it. Air Canada Flights are about $500 return-trip with all taxes fees and bullshits included. I guess I need to figure out where I’d stay. Topic deserves it’s own thread.

if you contact the naccc people they have made a promise to find every messenger that needs it somewhere to stay for free.

also, check amtrak, from pgh its like 85 bucks each way and on most trains you can take your bike for free or boxed up for like 5 bucks extra.

Uh it’s in chicago, so I guess I’ll be going. Maybe I’ll race(I’ve never done any racing at all).
I have two bigass couches(if you don’t mind a few beer stains and others of indeterminate origin) and a heluva lot of floorspace if anybody needs a spot to crash out.