Bicycle Secrets

MTBgripchat made me think perhaps not everyone knows this:

An air compressor with a small nozzle on it makes installing and uninstalling grips super easy.
Install: Start grip onto bars. Poke nozzle under edge of grips against bar. Seal grip end with hand. Squirt air in while shoving on end of grip.
Uninstall: Cover grip end with hand to create seal. Poke nozzle under edge of grip and blow off end of bar.

(might need to also seal the other end of the bar for this to work)

I had an oury inflate like a balloon one time when trying to uninstall grips that way once, it was hilarious and frightening.

Along those lines: I’ve had good luck using rubber cement to secure grips that have worn in enough to start twisting on the bar.

Ive just used spray adhesive since it’s not too sticky that grips can’t be removed easily.

Aqua-net works best. Cleans off with water.

This. Been on my work bench for nearly 30 years without fail.

Good tips… the new one for me is the Motorex. Large tubs acquired. Thx bc.

Air compressor trick also works at home with canned air/spray dust, just ensure it’s well shaken and upright. Use the extension nozzle.

Pro Taper makes grip glue/cement for motorcycle grips that I always had decent luck with, but then usually you have to cut the grips off when you’re done. Since you don’t twist bicycle grips generally I bet it’s probably overkill.

I had good luck with rubbing alcohol for both removal and install of my Cycletruck rubber grips. Had to wait until it evaporated to take it for a spin though.

I usually do rubbing alcohol to install, then blast with air to dry it. Uninstall with air and a pokey spoke to work it off

Also don’t think its a secret, but the sharpened spoke is a very important tool in general for bikes

Better spoke trick is bending them for chain work

I’ve used gorilla glue with some success. Has to be scraped off the bars after, but comes off readily.

I use lock on grips and fuck all this noise and hairspray shit.

Glued some crappy “cork” grips back onto some bars with tubular glue once. Seemed legit.

if you’ve never used fancypants grips that don’t have a plastic tube in the middle, you should try it

especially if you have any hankering whatsoever for thin grips

At one point I had two bikes with Ourys. One pair was put on with some hairspray nonsense, the other with an air compressor at a shop.

One pair twisted and shifted over time like a motherfucker.

The other pair was solid.

Guess which was which.

Lol at living the imported condom thin grip life. Tarck never fails to impress.

Have used hairspray, air, zip ties to slide on, whatever else, and the best grips I’ve used are still a set of LizardSkins lockons. Fuck your shittastic grips Fred :colbert: