Bike Apps or How to Ruin Your Ride With Data

Kinda fun to see Jesse Melamed’s Dash setup. He had it pinned the whole run.

I’m ril pissed at rwgps rite now

I can’t figure out how to add POI to the cue sheet

Figured it out
You need to add a custom cue

how do i sync my wahoo with garmin connect? i’ve decided garmin connect is where all my “fitness” data should live, cuz watch.

I think it might sync to strava already? idk

some sort of third-party connector it sounds like

https://www.reddit.com/r/cycling/comments/11n2ao6/syncing_wahoo_to_garmin_connect_elemnt_boltroam/

After years of Luddite protestation I recently started tracking my riding with Strava, but I have an older phone and sometimes my battery doesn’t make it through the day. What are some best practices or things I can buy to track my rides and still keep my phone alive? My brother gave me a Garmin watch (no GPS) with a broken strap but that’s all I have as far as devices.

1 Like

best practice is liberate your phone from these duties

get a very basic smartwatch get a vivoactice or forerunner or whatever you can get a deal on at REI or thru your work benefits

wait get Amy’s smart watch

2 Likes

Thx. @forrest my $50 watch - With a full charge new it could record 9-11 hours. I know I’ve run it most of a downhill day before. Wouldn’t count on it for more than 6-7 hours but it gets the job done and easily syncs to strava. Plus it does heart rate as a bonus.

I just checked and the Garmin watch I have does actually have GPS. It’s a different model but pretty similar. I’m going to see what I can get out of this.

The best tool for a job is the tool you already have

3 Likes

I found the watch can safely last an elapsed time of about 8 hours so I’m good for now. Successfully resisting the urge to buy a head unit.

1 Like

Same

I’ve become obsessed with Wandrer and am currently trying to complete Manhattan.

4 Likes

Clicked as a potential hate-read but I actually think a lot of people need to read this.

I used to ride obsessively and over longer distances than I should have, thinking that it was good for me. If you’re tired then don’t do your ride, the few seconds difference on your loop that your device is gonna let you know about means nothing, and Strava sucks.

7 Likes

is this the computers thread?

i have a review of the wahoo element roam 2, here is the review:

i bought it and at first i didn’t like it, because not garmin.
i rode with it for a couple weeks and now i like it. but i still think garmin has some better features.

but i think i like it better than a garmin?

1 Like

I’m #3 on the NYC and Brooklyn leaderboards for Wandrer this month. Apparently I was second for Manhattan last month and could get third this month with about an hour riding. Never really looked at these before but they’re just enough mild competition to keep me out there.

Golden Cheetah 3.6 was finally released back in August. One of the new features is an Equipment field to the Ride metadata. It was added a while back as part of the RC builds, but I only just got around to playing with it.

I was able to make a chart that tracks the hours on ridden each bike. This should be helpful for doing suspension maintenance.

2 Likes

What head unit should I get?

Battery life is a priority, and ease of integration with Strava.

i like my wahoo more than i liked my edge 510 and edge adventure or whatever the recent touring-y model was. both of them now belong to other tarckers and i bought my wahoo from another tarcker.

garmin is nice because it integrates with garmin connect, and it has routing based on other garmin data. it’s also nice to be able to find a taco bell and route to it on the garmin but it was usually annoying enough to need to pull over at which point using my phone to tell the wahoo where to go would be quicker. no touchscreen on the wahoo is both nice and annoying. it’s dead simple but if you want to pan on the map it’s annoying.

i think the hammerhead karoo gets very high marks, it looks awesome. i might have bought that if i didn’t get a tarck deal on the wahoo. i will say the wahoo gets better battery life than my garmin explore did

Garmin Edge® 840 Solar

Solar is a huge selling point and maybe the only thing that would get me to go with Garmin, a company that makes a watch that I have that sucks. Joe from 718 at a meetup said he’d never charged his 1040 since he got it several months prior. Battery was at 53%.

I don’t feel the need for touchscreen or even color, my ideal device is like an e-ink, solar powered, no touch screen device that integrates well with apps and sensors with a battery life that isn’t worth mentioning because it doesn’t die.