Bike Apps or How to Ruin Your Ride With Data

If my family bought me one of these, I’d have a hard time resisting the impulse to convert it into a deep-v crop top.

They won’t, of course, not just because they aren’t terfs but also because they are fully aware of how enthusiastically I embrace cringe.

2 Likes

A bit butthurt that the new Hammerhead app doesn’t interface with the Karoo2, only their new headunit

3 Likes

Say I’m looking for some sort of simple-ish GPS computer and have zero cares about stuff like routing or syncing with an app on a phone or really anything besides tracking mileage and ideally still interfacing with some older Garmin ANT speed, cadence, and HR sensors. I’m not interested in using my phone for this. My old Garmin 500 does everything I care about just fine other than taking a long time to lock on to GPS signals. What devices should I look at? The Garmin 130 seems like a good candidate.

2 Likes

I’ll let you know in about a week, think I’m getting one as a father’s day present this Sunday. I’m still on an Edge 200… which works, but is getting super hard to connect to anything to upload rides.

1 Like

Get a Garmin watch. They are super robust and extremely simple to use.

Heartrate will be built in and you can add any cadence sensor down the road if needed.

Battery life of the nicer ones utterly destroys a head unit with mapping etc.

1 Like

Also the 130 is waaay overdue for an update.

1 Like

I have a garmin 130 and I pretty much hate it. I have an old 520 and 3 Etrex’s cos bikepacking. If I ever doing anything that I have to record, I use my phone as well as the 130. I think sometimes if I do a particularly long ride, it runs out of room and just turns off. Its pros are that it is very small.

2 Likes

That’s probably the smart and sensible choice if I didn’t already like and want to keep wearing the watches I already do.

The more I think about this and research devices the less I’m caring about this. Those external sensors would only be used with one bike that’s ridden 0-2 times/year and it doesn’t really matter if the 500 is slow to lock on to GPS. A couple of the other bikes already have their own mileage tracking. Not sure it’s worth a katu or more just to not to have to use my phone to track the few non-commute / non-grocery store rides I do these days.

i had a 130. it was horrible. i think i could have locked onto the GPS faster by driving to Cape Canaveral and launching my own satellite

3 Likes

130 is discontinued the 130 Plus is the entry now

Bontrager makes a sub $100 ANT+ compatible cyclocomputer

Can’t swap to a different one while exercising??

You really do get way more bang for your buck just grabbing a recent used or refurb Garmin watch off ebay than you would for any head unit. TI have a vivoactive 4S and it’s great. I think i paid $180 for it about 1.5 years ago. Battery life has faded a bit, but it’s perfect otherwise.

1 Like

For recreational / exercise rides that would be no problem. But mostly I think now that buying something to track all these rides is kinda dumb. Commutes could be tracked with a spreadsheet, any other rides with either my phone or the old ass 500, and all that costs zero dollars.

I’ve landed on Garmin watch for everything that doesn’t need navigation. I charge my Venu once a week, and I don’t have to worry about leaving it on the bike when parked. Works for running, hikes and keeping tabs on active time in the week and general health measures. If it broke tomorrow, I’d get a replacement next day. Way lighter than an Apple one and much better battery life. Most my riding buds are doing same.

3 Likes

Got the 130 plus as a father’s day present. Have only done a ride up the driveway, but it picks up GPS and cadence/HR sensors very quickly, screen is tiny but readable with the 6 fields I’ve put on it, links to phone very easily. A good upgrade from my old 200. No idea about navigation, I don’t use it…

2 Likes

My “non-plus” does pick up sensors well too. Can take a while to pick up GPS but given that my Etrex can also be like that then its probably just because NZ couldnt afford to pay for the Satellite subscription.

2 Likes

Is beta becoming a widespread term outside of climbing?

Beta testing is pretty widespread

1 Like

beta and reconnoiter have permeated the lugubrious goobers

1 Like

Yeah but that’s something completely different.