Bike blerg thread

speed cameras aren’t panoptic surveillance capitalism tho

and google definitely has a durable record that it is more than happy to share with police.

I was talking about my thing not your thing re: panoptic surveillance capitalism. The little spy we all carry in our pockets. Your proposal is just an expansion of state surveillance capacity that’s really really hard to roll out in a way that’s not going to get really badly tangled up in citizen hearings.

I guess it’s a question of whether you’d rather have the forces of the state or the forces of capital as the primary agent being brought to bear on the problem

“would you tell the jury whether you plead TAF, JA, or just WTH”

10 Likes

regardless of the panopticon conversation, speed cameras can be nefarious, in the case of Cook County where we had them taken away when it was discovered that they fucked with (shortened) the yellow light timing that was well established at camera intersections specifically to get more red light running fines. idk!

3 Likes

I seem to also recall that red light cameras didn’t do much to limit the number of people running reds, but they did increase revenues as well as causing an uptick in accidents at intersections equipped with them.

1. these are the kinds of issues that come up when cities propose speed cameras, and they’re legitimate.

2. when they’re used for revenue generation, like automating the small town speed trap, they’re kind of bullshit.

3. the argument that they cause more crashes is possibly narrowly true, but this is because people are perversely reinforcing their bad driving habits rather than developing newer, better ones.

4. I’m suspicious of them because it seems like a very easy way to further harrass people with limited resources. What Robert Moses did two generations ago with freeways and low overpasses people can do again today by ringing neighborhoods with speed cameras.

If you want people to not be poor you should probably look beyond traffic violation policy.

All I know is in Europe there are speed cameras everywhere and people generally drive the speed limit. Bring. Them. On.

2 Likes

“Further harass” doesn’t imply that a root cause is being addressed.

I think it’s great that you’re bringing so much passion to this issue, I’d love to hear how you translate it into policy engagement!

What are you talking about

Just put in speed cameras

2 Likes

I’ll get right on it

1 Like

The thing is you need to either do it all the way or not at all.

1 Like

I’m going to do some westlaw research tomorrow

i feel like it would pay for itself by the time any behavior change came along, then would probably come close to maintenance costs after that hopefully

but that’s assuming we can change behaviors

Yep, as with anything that is good in theory.

But we’re in a crisis atmo and I am personally ready to support our government getting as close as it realistically can in tnie case because not doing anything is worse.

This is a really great set of articles about all angles of PBP. Written by Etienne Hossack, 1st Canadian finisher. The focus is primarily on going fast but there’s tonnes of general info as well.

https://paris-brest-paris.hossack.me/

5 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

Red light or speed cameras everywhere and the fine assessed is a percentage of your net worth (calculated somehow based on tax returns).

4 Likes

Impossible to implement, but sounds good.

I like the idea of a penalty that ramps up exponentially. Everyone has a breaking point…

$25…$50…$100…$500…$1000…$5000…$10,000…

Well, they do it in Finland.

1 Like