Bike blog thread

[quote=TimArchyLime]EJ had one of those. Aged 4+ years. We drank it the day before they moved out of town. We couldn’t tell if the flavor was due to being well past the expiration date or if it was the original intent.

atmo, I would need to be already drunk to be able to drink a whole 4loko.[/quote]do this and then try to consume a whole bowl of pho.

Yall see that Jan Heine is back to building his derailleurs from scratch

That was a fun summer. Listened to Torche - Meanderthal, drank Sparks, worried about gear ratios for the skids. Crashed quite a few times.
I look back in awe/horror.

i had some friends who lived in one of those notorious semi-legal lofts in bushwick know for being the foremost breeding ground of bedbugs and STI’s. they stockpiled 4loko all summer, in preparation for the caffeinated booze ban in new york, and threw a moving-out party with all of it. one of their coworkers (and apple store genius i think) offered to bring a soundsystem for it, but unknown to the actual residents, he publicized it as a DJ gig to his quite large fanbase of mostly freshmen and sophomore NYU students. there ended up being a line the whole way down the hallway, and a couple of us started acting like bouncers and checking IDs but just turning everyone away. eventually the breaker tripped, half the building lost power, and someone threw up all over my friend’s beds.

Woulda been a better memory if you forgot it in a 4loko fever dream I suppose

That was a fun summer. Listened to Torche - Meanderthal, drank Sparks, worried about gear ratios for the skids. Crashed quite a few times.
I look back in awe/horror.[/quote]

Summer of Sparks/4loko coincided with “rollo”, which was bike polo but the bike must have 16" wheels or smaller. Basically we all had little kids bikes, coaster brakes, and very long seatposts. It was super fun and hilarious and hard to take too seriously and I loved it. combo of sparks+bike polo meant lots of falls, but on a little bike you don’t have far to fall so never really got hurt.

Where ?
I’m looking forward to the “Dynamos cause resistance” myth being busted. Could be the best one so far.

wait where?

The good thing about derailers like this is that if it breaks you can go to your local smithy to fix it. Take that, Shimano.

Re: non-alcoholic chat

Dirt Rag sparkling water shootout.

I accidentally got sparkling water from the fountain when I was filling my water bottles up mid-ride the other day.

It actually wasn’t bad during the ride.

The best is finding a food stop that has one of those new soda machines with sparkling water. That way you can cut Coke without it being nasty.

Cut Coke with lemon-lime Gatorade

I think he just repaired/had someone repair the rod derailleur on his herse tandem. Not actually making new derailleurs

Remember when he said that no one made a derailleur that would adequately shift a 46/30 combination so he had to make a rod-actuated one himself?

Isn’t 16 teeth perfectly fine with any modern pusher?

Pretty sure we collectively have all these questions already answered somewhere