bike jocks road and track 2014/15 thread

Speaking of VO2 my gf wants to get a new baseline for rowing but hasn’t had good luck finding a place that isn’t super expensive in Seattle. Any recommendations?

so I just sent the check for this
http://www.francobicycles.com/outlet/pre-owned-bikes/troy-triunfo-force.html

cos thats an awesome price for those wheels and cockpit on a pretty decent frame
guess i’m gonna do some TT’s this year!

that and i’m totally gonna rock those wheels on the road bike too. never had any aero wheels of any kind before, so that should be cool. they’re not the FR edition but whatever

only bummer is I hear that you can’t really fit a powertap to those because the spoke holes in the fairings are meant for a specific flange width. anyone know otherwise? if thats the case then i may need to switch to a stages

nvm i found out its because the nds of the non-pt built jet6 is set up for radial lacing and the holes don’t line up right if you do 1x or 2x

Fuck yeah… northern VA XC race series that was on hiatus is back this year! 3 pure XC courses, one of which is all but tailored made for me. Late summer when I’m at fighting weight and peak fitness. Sost oked.

[quote=BabbyMatt]so I just sent the check for this
http://www.francobicycles.com/outlet/pre-owned-bikes/troy-triunfo-force.html

cos thats an awesome price for those wheels and cockpit on a pretty decent frame
guess i’m gonna do some TT’s this year!

that and i’m totally gonna rock those wheels on the road bike too. never had any aero wheels of any kind before, so that should be cool. they’re not the FR edition but whatever

only bummer is I hear that you can’t really fit a powertap to those because the spoke holes in the fairings are meant for a specific flange width. anyone know otherwise? if thats the case then i may need to switch to a stages[/quote]THAT IS MY OLD ROOMMATE

Small world!

Ugh fucka flu! Feeling mostly better but still coughing my lungs out at the top of every climb and have shitty power :(. Weight is down about 6 lbs from a few weeks ago, down to 146 for the past 3 mornings. Wish I could make some damn power so I could take advantage the skinny. Am I gonna have to eat my way back to pre-sickness weight or do I just keep riding and eat to maintain current weight and hope the legs find themselves again?

First race of the season today, early bird crit 4. Felt pretty good but got boxed at the end. I managed to be lazy as fuck and spent very little time in the wind, was 4th or 5th wheel out of the last corner but it was a long straight to the finish and the group I was following was too slow, the rest of the field started coming by on the left. Getting real comfortable in the pack and moving up a lot, I don’t think I ever fell back past the first third of the bunch today. No one really wanted to do any work. Followed a couple of break attempts but they didn’t commit either.

Also Beth Newell raced with us, that was cool, she’s way strong.

First race of the season was this past weekend. A 2 mi crit course, this one has two fairly tight chicanes and some noticeable crosswinds that played out to keep every single field together this year. This was my first time doubling up on a crit day; raced the 3’s at noon and the P123 a few hours after. Misogynisticus has quite the sprint in his legs so he’s our guy for the relatively flat stuff, which meant I got to play the excitable foxhound role. Got in a few moves, chased a few things down and towards the end of the race did what I could to help Miso and our other sprinter to stay in the front. Leadout got ducked up when one of our teammates tried to come around me but then just sat next to me for a few seconds and finally sat up. Despite that, Misogynisticus was still able to take the heads up sprint by a bike length. Woo!

Best part of the P123 race was realizing 10 minutes in that there was no chance of me getting dropped. Spent the first 3/4 of the race sitting in and getting a feel for the pack dynamics and then got myself into a bridge attempt before everything came together with 3 to go. Two nasty crashes with 1 to go and on the bell lap right outside of the final corners saw the group I was with get sorta spooked and just roll across the line as we watched the leaders sprint. Turns out I got 14th, so that’s pretty rad.

Confidence is definitely high coming into the first Red Kite omnium event of the season this Sunday seeing as this is the first time I’ve ever followed the plan well through “winter”, not that the race course suits my abilities super well but kevin will be there with me so hopefully we can get results in either the 3/4 in the morning or 2/3 at 11:45 covering both sprinter and attacker roles. If anyone in Nor Cal will be out in Livermore come say hi!

Red Kite circuit race course looks really fun. Bummed I’m missing it.

It’s postponed, still got a chance

I’m signed up for the 4s

ITT I am glad I started road racing after leaving California, because apparently it’s all crits all the time there. Yuck.

Nice work, though, roundabout!

Thanks! Road races have started up around here, it’s just that I’m bottom of the totem pole at the shop for sales floor and the other two racers are super anti-crits so I can get those days off more easily. Also, I feel like crits are helping me work on my pack maneuvering, sprinting, and top end power - all things I see as limiting constraints that need some work if I want to join the big boy p12’s in the next year or two.

Super bummed, circuit race tomorrow is cancelled. Not that I had a huge shot at winning, more that I have a lot of confidence coming off last weekend and had my race prep dialed and would’ve trained differently all week had I known I wouldn’t be racing. Blah.

Jealous of you guys in the warmer climates, my team hasn’t even ridden together outdoors once this year lol

All crits all the time? Nah they’re just easier to get to, probably because it’s much easier to find a crit venue in a populated area than a road race venue.

Raced knights ferry today. It was tough, attack after attack. Hung in for a pack finish, didn’t look at my result but nothing stellar. My teammate was supposed to race it but he missed his start because he had the time wrong. Poor guy just chased solo the whole time, came within a couple minutes of the field a few times and finished maybe 5 behind? Strong like bull, smart like…

Bummer about red kite canceled tomorrow, gonna do early bird #5. I’m on orders to attack the field in a spectacular fashion, so that’s what I intend to do. Not expecting anything to stick but the rain may be in my favor?

You uploaded these files? I’m curious what the numbers look like.

Fuck your skinny tires, I’m posting about dirt racing…

Quick recap for my first race, evvvveeeeeeeerrrrrr. CAT 3 19-34. Took a friend’s advice of not blowing up the first lap and it helped. I think we had 12 or 13 people in our group and turning onto the trail after the starting straight I was 10th, I think. There were about 50 CAT 3ers on the course at once. Started picking off guys til I was 4th or 5th until I drifted through a turn and someone tried to pass me and literally elbowed me out of his way and onto the ground as I was off balance and drifting. Meh, it happens. Unfortunately there was a group of the old guys flying through so I lost some time there. First half of the 3rd/final lap was a bit rough as my back started aching and legs somewhat went dead, but I was able to get back on the power the last half. I also ran out of water.

Short version: Did way better than I expected myself to do for a first race. I’m hooked. Spent more time sideways in turns and I need to air down the fork/tires and adjust my fit a bit. Lots of fast single track with some annoying short climbs thrown in. Great times.

I’ll post a picture if they come up.

Way to go, MB! What race was it?

It’s the CCCX XC series that primarily races at Ft. Ord and Toro Park. Friends have been trying to get me to do it for years but I never tried. Glad I finally did.

I guess I forgot to mention I came in 6th.

Lulz. Check out the gloves…forgot my real gloves at home…

Nice!