bike jocks road and track 2014/15 thread

that’s a real bummer, I’m glad you were able to walk away from it cos like you said it could have been worse

Damn, glad you’re okay, Matt. Couldn’t really see anything around green kit - do you know what happened?

Not sure, I couldn’t see around him IRL either lol. I heard one of the juniors crossed wheels. Here’s someone else’s footage (but he’s further back)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH_K6d1Dm4X/?hl=en

man, this race season is just gonna be a wash for me. for every step toward race fitness, i get hit with a step backwards.
like a week so far with a hacking cough. i’m drinking cough syrup just to sleep.

[quote=aerobear]man, this race season is just gonna be a wash for me. for every step toward race fitness, i get hit with a step backwards.
like a week so far with a hacking cough. i’m drinking cough syrup just to sleep.[/quote]

I feel you, Amy. The past two years have been like that (or worse) for me.

On a positive note, on the recommendation of my PT, I’m starting to work with a trainer this week to help address some of the glute/hip issues that have been giving me trouble all year. I probably won’t have a great cross season, but whatever. I’m going to lift hella weights and try and really improve on my power and strength for next year. Being an okay climber hasn’t helped me much, so I’m going to try and focus on being a better all 'rounder.

Probably going to skip cyclocross in order to not re-break my collarbone.
Starting an early base for next year, how beneficial is Z1? My girlfriend just started riding and I’ve been getting a good 8 hours or so a week of z1 with her… is it doing anything for me or just fun times on the bike?

next to nothing

No CX for me either, mostly cuz I suck at it. Started my off season officially a couple weeks ago after trying out my first e3 race. Won two crits on back to back weekends by just sprinting earlier than I otherwise would, with the goal being to hit the last corner first. Worked great. GoPro mount was borked from a crash, but 2nd place got a vid, I attack on the left @ 8:18. I took the corner pretty shitty/slow, but I still had enough of a gap to cross the line first.

Season goal was just to get e3. Got that, so now I’m just fucking around on the bike/in the gym until after the wedding/honeymoon/move, when I’ll start some structure again.

I don’t believe Z1 is useful for much except recovery. Maybe ride mtb/cx bike with her to push yourself into z2 at least?

Don’t underestimate the increased motivation to ride that comes from fun times on the bike. But physiologically, Z1 is just practice spinning circles. If it isn’t a little uncomfortable, there just isn’t enough stress to respond to.

interesting, yet possibly outdated related reading: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2013/12/hard-easy-training.html

I think that still generally applies. But if you’re only doing Z1, then there’s nothing to recover from. I try to mix it up like I did today at lunch. I spent an hour riding really hard and making it uncomfortable so that I could get to an out of the way bike shop and back to work on time. I’ve found that mixing in such outside motivators can help keep Z3 at a healthy percentage without it being such a chore. I do group rides and other fun bike community rides as a way to mix it up and do a bunch of Z1 recovery. Feels good to spin the legs during a party ride after running errands all day.

I hate structuring workouts, though. I’d rather just ride my bike with a little more awareness added so that I can peak fitness when I wish as a side benefit while I have fun riding and getting shit done.

sup with this thread?

let stalk making bikes go fast

Wanted to do the UCLA RR on Sat but none of my teammates look to be going and supwife doesn’t want me to tie up the car all day, so likely skipping it. Coach said it would be good for me because my power/weight right now is looking pretty nice, but I think he underestimates how strong the actual climbers are, even in cat 3 D:

I’m feeling strong enough to crush on some of the old guy racer group rides on climbs, but not so much on other youngin’s like me, esp not the skinny ones. Latest power test last weekend had me at just barely shy of 5w/kg for 20, but idk, somehow I don’t think of myself as a good climber compared to others. Maybe my PM just reads high, or I have a stronger left leg or w/e… Maybe it’s just lack of confidence.

Planning on doing the Roger Millikan crit on Sunday and helping out a teammate. Never really domestiqued proper before, so I’ll see if I can light it up real good :slight_smile:

Then getting my TT on at VoS the following weekend. Teammates are renting an AirBnB so that should be fun. Doing some practice on Fiesta Island today. Last time, I was doing around 26 mph @ 290w with just my evade helmet and hed jet 6 clinchers. Hoping I can do ~10-15w more now, and that the skinsuit/aero hamlet/dick wheel help a bit more, since the winning speeds from previous years in the 3’s are closer to 28 mph, and it’s a false flat on the way out.

Also DAE iron supplement? I just started a couple weeks ago and feeling a bit less fatigue than usual considering the volume I’ve been doing. CTL was 89 after Sunday’s big ride.

my season thus far: NOT STRONG ENOUGH.

[quote=BabbyMatt]
Also DAE iron supplement? I just started a couple weeks ago and feeling a bit less fatigue than usual considering the volume I’ve been doing. CTL was 89 after Sunday’s big ride.[/quote]
are you eating enough dark greens?

our season doesn’t start for like 2 more months…
i didn’t really do base miles this year, so i’m a little short on endurance riding, but my 5-10m power is good. on rest week this week, gonna do a 20m test once i’m back to see where i’m at. hoping to be back up at 4 w/kg where i was in '15 when i was in good shape, then want build a bit on that. i think it’s doable.

my sprint really sucks though. so i gotta work on that over the next 2 months.

Yes this was the thread I was looking for like 3 weeks ago.

I’ve got a handful of #endurobroyolo races on the schedule this year. I’m probably going to spend 80% of my training time on the road, but I don’t have any desire to line up for a road/crit race.

I think I know the answer to this: 2 x 20s, but what is the fastest/best way to increase your FTP? I hit 215 watts (3.31 watts/kg) on my FTP test , only a few watts up from the last test.

Also any good workouts that can contribute to long-term power output without, you know, sitting on my trainer for 4 hours? I did that once and will never do it again, I think I almost died from boredom.

2x20sare ok… ride sweet spot, z2 if you have the spare time and ramp your CTL up as much as possible (but gradually so you don’t overdo it).