bike jocks road and track 2014/15 thread

Jack In The Box has a great duo: large shamrock/seasonal shake, and large curly fries

~1600 calories that balance each other’s flavors and textures

like you can use one to help you eat the other

Hammer products are among those somethings for a lot of people

the people for whom it works often join the cult, wear the branded spandex, and buy into the system of products that includes everything but woo copper magnet bracelets

[quote=bobbythehawk]nice amy! are you back into racing road/crits? seemed like you were kinda over it

i’m a few points away from cat 2. I want to just get it over with so I can start getting hammered by the fast guys/gals, but it’s fun being a factor in every race. The season is winding down now though, so who knows if i’ll get any more results.[/quote]

i still love crits. but yeah, mostly i just want to mtb.

@mdilthey, if you have a fragile stomach, i dont know if perpetuem or tailwind is for you. perpetuem gives me the farts on rides. not kidding. its painful.

some nutritionists warn people to be careful not to mix your hydration with your food, as then youre not getting the hydration you need. i dont know how true that is, just something i heard - basically dont fill up your bottles with calories.
i am also pretty sensitive to pretty much any drink mix. i prefer just plain water.

for me, if i’m not racing, i just stop to eat. its always easier on my stomach that way and ill chew it more and get more down. i’m too lazy to make my own stuff. i dig the pro bar bites and the new nut butter cliff bars for off the shelf stuff.
fig newtons are another good convenience store item that’s a mix of quick sugar and slower digesting stuff.

if you use a gps device, it can also help to set a food reminder every 30-45 minutes. garmins and i imagine some other devices have this in the options under alerts.

Have you tried larabars? Those have always been really good to my stomach on big days out. https://www.larabar.com/our-products/larabar

i had a hard time with larabars. i think i kept accidentally buying ones with walnuts in them, which my mouth hates (gets all irritated with walnuts, pistachios, and a few other nuts).

Two suggestions for larabars, okay. Will try it.

I’m not looking for maximum performance or anything. Just enough to prevent a bonk. I know those shotblox gummies work great for me so I’m going to keep using those.

I will be able to eat a real meal afterwards. I just want to keep myself going!

I like the new cliff bars with whatever inside them-peanut butter one is good. They are pricey, though.
and larabars are pretty solid, too. Definitely not as dry/way more edible than regular cliff bars. Worked for my stomach, too.
And fig newtons when I can remember to buy them, but not eat them for snacks. they certainly pack in the calories.

my jam is to just wait till interbike and get enough foodstuffs to last a season.

https://www.amazon.com/Sezme-Sesame-Snaps-40-gram-Pack/dp/B000F3OERW

there’s nothing easier to eat, the energy boost is immediate, and it’s pretty evenly split fat/sugar

also extremely hard to beat for caloric density (butter?)

Hammer stuff makes me sick. I am never sure how anyone can eat it, although I guess some people’s gut biome tolerates it. It was the original reason why I started buying Skratch. Say what you will about their fucking Tollhouse cookie mix and shit, they actually made a product which seemed to do what it claimed without giving people gut rot.

[quote=JUGE FREDD]https://www.amazon.com/Sezme-Sesame-Snaps-40-gram-Pack/dp/B000F3OERW

there’s nothing easier to eat, the energy boost is immediate, and it’s pretty evenly split fat/sugar

also extremely hard to beat for caloric density (butter?)[/quote]

these are my favourite:

Looks like they’re sold in the US under Loucks. (and you get a cinnamon option!)

Bah, signed up for an omnium this weekend and just saw the start sheet for the TT. It’s me, three of my teammates, and a guy from my town I’ve ridden with a couple times . Hope the turnout for the crits is better.

for hydro/electrolytes scratch is pretty great. I’m sensitive and can handle that stuff (it doesnt make my butt go boom)

really like born energy multi-carbo for cals

i don’t like eating on the bike, so in the bottle is good. That stuff digests easy, and is purple!

[quote=aerobear]
i still love crits.[/quote]

its basically all I want to do anymore. and track. and MTB.

[quote=bobbythehawk][quote=aerobear]
i still love crits.[/quote]

its basically all I want to do anymore. and track. and MTB.[/quote]
come to southern california

Crits and track are where it’s at!

Jacques and I did a late night crit last weekend and he won the road bike race and was 2nd in the fixed race. I hung on for dear life in the road bike race which was good cuz I was the only non Cat 1/2/3 left after the first lap. Didn’t have my track bike set up to do the fixed crit, but maybe next time.

Tuesday night crits have been going well for me in the fast race and I’ll be racing a crit next Saturday and hoping to get a good result in the Cat 4 race.

I won a crit today but… it was 7 from my team in a field of 9, so not quite sure if it counts. One teammate attacked from the gun, one of the two guys not on our team took a hard pull a few laps in, so I countered it and bridged up to the guy OTF, and then we just rode around in circles 'til we lapped everyone. He said I could have this one, so yay.

1 Like

Just got my cat 3 upgrade. Finally in the ultimate cat.

Anybody still racing?

Had a crit last weekend with a few teammates. Local pro-triathlete trying out cycling turned up. He’s super strong and has ridden away from the field in several races, and has basically won everything he’s entered so far.

I’ve got a good sprinter that won on this course the previous year in the cat 4s, so our plan is to set it up for a sprint again and to keep any breakaways in check. Of course, triathlete guy tries to just attack the field over and over in the least effective way, and we’re not the only ones that don’t want him to get away, so everyone stays glued to his wheel and refuses to work with him. At one point he pulls 6-7 of us for like 3 laps straight, and then gets super frustrated yelling “SOMEBODY HELP ME”, but everyone just chills. He takes a few more pulls for seemingly no reason, then I counter one of them pretty hard just as a sort of punishing move and to maybe make him chase/tow the field up to me and burn more matches. Seems like the field was pretty tired though, so I got a gap pretty quickly and held about 15 seconds on the field for 7 laps or so, and finally get caught coming into 1 to go. Then, tri-bro decides to lead himself out for most of a lap and still try to sprint. He, of course, gets demolished, and my teammate takes the win again.

That’s me in the green getting caught around 10:30. Tri guy is in the pink helmet and you can see him start to pull shortly after I’m caught.

Then he posts a super aggro Strava title for the race:
“Just wait till there’s a stage race with a TT. You’ll have to take a pull then. This was my warm up.”

Referring to the valley of the sun race this weekend that a bunch of us are doing.
¯_(ツ)_/¯
Learn to race dude.

anonymously mail him Tim Krabbé’s The Rider