Bike Travel Bags

I think it might be cool to have a bike travel bag now that Alaska Airlines (hub out of Seattle) is only charging $25 to check a bike. I’d like to be able to fit my rando “all road” bike in there, but also a full suspension mountain bike that I do not yet own. I’ve been looking at EVOC and Pika Packworks.

Any tarcksperiences with either of these?

Anything else I should look at?

I just got an EVOC a few weeks ago. Super easy to use, fits my YOLObike with loads of room for other gear (or a FS bike), and relatively easy to maneuver around. It is, unfortunately, immediately recognized as a bike bag, so you won’t be able to ninja it on less friendly airlines.

I have friends that have inconspicuously flown with pika bags. idk about fs, though.

As far as others to look at, the Thule offerings seem to be pretty nice, if a bit on the pricey end of things

Somewhat related:

The black s&s box available from Q is garbage. It’s flimsy and it doesn’t feel as quality as the padded ritchey breakaway bag.

I would recommend the cheaper (and possibly lighter) padded case vs the rigid plastic

I like that the Pika is so compact, but I’m worried about being to maneuver it to/from/around the airport due to its lack of wheels. The Evoc has wheels, which seems like it’ll help.

[quote=yummygooey]I like that the Pika is so compact, but I’m worried about being to maneuver it to/from/around the airport due to its lack of wheels. The Evoc has wheels, which seems like it’ll help.[/quote]it’s got backpack straps

Carrying a bike that weighs more than a road/track bike on your back while traveling sucks. Ask me how I know. Wheels are a necessity. I had a Pika for a couple of years and the only good thing about it versus other cases is that it was easy to fit into a car.

bike

aw

lol

not helpful if you already have a backpack with you…

I just made my own from a yard of cordura, a few buckles, and the straps from my old ortlieb. bingo bango.

I have a Trico Ironcase if you want to borrow it in the meantime.

we’ve also got a pair of hardcases at BA for loan

Had a Pika for 4 years, between my trips and friends’ trips it probably had a dozen uses or so? Good build quality, packs up into not that much space when not in use. Side pockets fit a good amount of stuff. When I flew with it to Europe I packed a ton of clothes in space bags in all the extra room.

If I had bought it a year or two later I might had snagged one of the Scicon Aerocomfort bags. Had some hands on time with one at Sea Otter, pretty slick.

Went with the Evoc. We’ll see how the first trip goes in December!

yummygooey - how did the Evoc work out on your trip? I’m seriously considering one - thanks for update.

[h1]Tarck

Who’s newguy?

Anyway, for everyone else who’s already posted their bike in the newguy thread: The bag worked great for two trips so far, both with Alaska Airlines. Tons of room for a 55cm all-road bike, maybe too much. Pretty easy to load up the bike, and it would be wayyyyyyy easier if I didn’t have all these integrated cables and lighting and fenders and racks and whatever. Nominally it’s just wheels & rotors & pedals & dangler & stem/bars off, seat down and velcro strap stuff in place.

First trip I loaded all the empty space with clothes and like 10 cans of beer each way. I loaded up my fenders around the wheels and they got smanged up (really not surprising) but nbd cuz the airline comp’d me for them. Having to remove/install/remove/install fenders is tedious anyways, I’d be hard pressed to travel with them again. Second trip I left it pretty empty with just the bike and basic bike clothes. Way easier to haul in/out of cars and transit, around the airport, get it on the check-in weight scale, etc… duh.

Tl;dr the bag worked great and the only thing I don’t like about it is that it’s a little unnecessarily big for smallpplbieks.