Bladed spokes

Street riding.
Yes, the blades would be because I like the way they look more than how they could help me win a sprint race.[/quote]

Thanks I just wanted to hear it out of your mouth.

:colbert:[/quote]
my mouth?

We want another video

and all this time i thought i hated the way bladed spokes looked.

although since you guys say you need to run <32h i dont think i’ll ever fuck with em.[/quote]

You don’t HAVE to run bladed with less than 32h, it just doesn’t make much sense buying aerodynamic spokes and then lacing them up on a 32h wheel.

Basically, you can get better aerodynamics from a wheel from a few major ways: deeper rim (and more aero profile, which companies spend stacks of money in R&D to figure out what the best profile is), less spokes, and making the spokes more aero. Preferably you want to go for a combination of the three in making an aero wheel - so say a 20h front 24h rear, bladed spokes, rim deeper than 35mm. I can’t remember how much wattage savings there is from just running aero spokes alone with no change in rim depth/shape or spoke count but I believe it IS a small difference though not much, spoke count and rim depth/profile are the biggies.

but then doesn’t that make perfect sense to lace a 32 or 36 with blades? i mean, if you’ve got a rim and hub with lots of spoke holes you might as well give it every aero advantage you can. i know i wish my commute was 1 second faster overall.

anyway i think they look badass, we all know that as long as our bikes roll that’s a much performance as we’re ever gonna notice.

You are correct.

Ive found a couple of places that still have them. One is the nazis at yellow jersey who want an arm and a testicle for everything and these spokes are no exception. 80 bucks a set.
I found another place that I wont name cause they have one set and theyre MUCH cheaper.
Maybe get those depending on size.

dh good luck finding the size you need.
I tried to stock up on some, but the lengths that were floating around were not happening.

Yeah and Im not even sure what length i need which helps a lot.

I built a radial front wheel with Hoshi blades in the late eighties. In a short time the spokes started breaking right at the bend.

Nice…i love when spokes break.
Im sure yours breaking had something to do with the radial lace actually.
I wont do that anyway.

Could have been the radial lacing, or the spokes may have been work hardened at the bends and brittle? It was a long time and many cooked brain cells ago but I seem to feebly remember others having problems with them breaking…

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

awww bummer.