Bullhorns on a road bike.....

Yeah, they were just like that while I was working out the sizing/spacing of the stems, etc…I didn’t even notice until now, they do look pretty awkward. Kinda like that shitty thread over on BF right now…

Early Start? I started base miles and weights a month ago! Your already behind! :bear:

Well, earlier than last year where I only gave myself a couple months. ^

Supervillain, that Peugeot is rad. I dig your set up and we’re totally brake twinsies. Thanks for posting that up, gives me an idea of how mine could look.

ps, Ditch that pie plate, man. It’s killin’ the mood.

I have a buddy that has one of the aluminum '05 BikeIsland Motobecane’s he’s upgraded over the past few years. Fellow used to put in over 150 a week commuting and just never used the drops so he went with bullhorns. I think the Nasbhar TT kind? Anyway, at the same time he upgraded his outfit to full 105/Ultegra and threw on some brake/shifter levers that are downfacing at the lip at the end of the horn. He loved it. Looks pretty speedy too. Works very well, so long as you aren’t trying to go with Sora line stuff. I think he had those on to begin with and the thumb shifter just made the setup awkward.

I’m actually building up my new road bike with bullhorns. I’ve had the idea for a LONG time that since brifters cost so much compared to downtube or bar end shifters, that it would be great to do an inexpensive build with high quality parts (not building off a garbage-picked 10 speed). The way that I’m setting up my cockpit is with a cross lever for the front brake, a bar end lever for the rear brake, and one Dura Ace bar end shifter for the rear derailer. I’m totally forgoing a front derailer, because I want this bike as simple as possible. Here is a drawing of what it will look like:

Everyone who has criticized bullhorns, well, you’re absolutely right. They’re not made for the way they’re popularly used. However, they are very simple and that is something to like. Simpler is better for shorter rides, which is why I’m also not doing a double.

Sounds good, except I don’t know why you would run one cross lever and one TT lever.

I’m way too OCD to handle that anyways.

Syntace Stratos are like the bullhorns. I love mine. I hazve the older 800 model (80mm drop). Gonna pick up the 400 soon to try out and when I build up a roadie those are going on there as well.

What I always wondered is would putting on brifters backward, with the ends of the levers facing forward work out? I’ve seen brifters the normal way you’d put em on horns, but never backwards. Wouldn’t you have to swap left and right?

Brifters on bullhorns: why?

Brifters on risers: lol

I saw the latter today on a pretty nice Cannondale. It boggles my mind.

Brifters on…risers?

Yah.

[quote=“blickblocks”]
Everyone who has criticized bullhorns, well, you’re absolutely right. They’re not made for the way they’re popularly used. However, [color=#FF0000]they are very simple and that is something to like. Simpler is better for shorter rides[/color], which is why I’m also not doing a double.[/quote]
With that logic… You should run risers. or just flat bars!

This is what I am saying:
I ride a lot of miles. Not that others don’t, but just saying, I do. And lately I have been doing long (5hour+) rides on bullhorns a couple times a week. There is a lot of talk about the greatness of bullhorns, whether it be the multi hand positions, the simplicity, the ZEN! whatever! I have had them for a while and not really logged in the miles, and now that i have been riding them, a lot, this is what I am saying: properly installed (Level) bullhorns are just like drops with a hand position on the cross section and a hand position on the bullhorn itself. That position on the horn itself is just like the “hoods” hand position on the drops. Don’t give me that “i get 4 positions in different places on the horns” crap because based on your reach only one is optimal! With drops you also get another position, down in the drops…

I don’t see any reason to use bullhorns over drops, other than aesthetics. There is no reason! It is only a sacrifice in a hand position, and typically the brake levers are too far out! I don’t see how losing a few inches of tubing is a huge increase in “simplicity”

My point is- All these arguments are style based! bullhorns look Hip so you Hipsters love em!

You’d have to swap left and right. You could still have your brakes the right way, but your shifters would be reversed. Probably something you could get used to.

I personally don’t like bullhorns on road bikes or any bikes with two brake levers. You already have the hoods. Why take away an option? I don’t even think bullhorns look simpler than drops. They just don’t have that kind of natural elegance. They kind of make any road (not fixed, not TT/Tri) bike they go onto look janky and pieced together straight away, IMO.

For me, there’s no better feeling than being tucked in nice and tight, knees in, elbows in, chin level with the bars, bombing a nice, long hill. There’s an aero tuck on just about every style of bar, bullhorns and risers included, but drops get you low and aero while still letting you keep your brake levers at your fingertips so you don’t have to come out of your tuck just because you need to rob yourself of a little bit of speed going into a turn.

Eh, I’m gonna do it. I’ll take it on some long rides and log a ton of miles. If I feel limited, then I’ll switch it out. It has nothing to do with looks/style and everything to do with trying new things. Like I said, maybe I’ll actually put aero bars on there and start doing TTs around Fiesta Island. Thank you all, especially Quinn8it, for the input. I’ll be sure to post pics when it’s done. I’ll expect a full dis report.

[quote=“kyle!”]Supervillain, that Peugeot is rad. I dig your set up and we’re totally brake twinsies. Thanks for posting that up, gives me an idea of how mine could look.

ps, Ditch that pie plate, man. It’s killin’ the mood.[/quote]

Thanks! I’m interested to see how it’s gonna look.

I make no apologies for the pie plate. I mean at least it’s not chrome. If I had occasion to rebuild the rear hub I’d probably remove it but the freewheel and hub are both tip top so it’s staying that way in the meantime.

Yo Kyle! get that shit built up already and start riding! I will be heading your way in December or January. Riding from Hollywood to the train station in old town S.D. You should train up and ride down with us. You dont have to do the whole 170 miles… we could pick you up somewhere along the way…

Indeed! The frame is now in SD so hopefully I’ll get it today and start getting it ready for the road. I’m totally down for that ride, maybe I’ll take the train up and we can meet at a station up there. Details when you know more. :bear:

170 mile ride would be pretty damn fun. I plan to do a fixed double century with my brother in the next few months, but I can’t figure out exactly where I want to ride. It would be boring to just do my 50 mile ride four times.

Start your regular 50 mile ride as usual, after the first 50 take 1 tab of acid, proceed to do the next 50, see where you end up, if still on route take another tab, if not keep riding, follow this proceedure until you are completely lost and exhausted.

Start your regular 50 mile ride as usual, after the first 50 take 1 tab of acid, proceed to do the next 50, see where you end up, if still on route take another tab, if not keep riding, follow this proceedure until you are completely lost and exhausted.[/quote]

WWJMD
[size=50]What Would Jim Morrison Do?[/size]

Bullhorns on a road bike look a bit funny to me. They make sense on an old school/ pre aerobars type time trial bike where you can actually get them low enough so that they’re where drops would be, and where you don’t want a higher, more comfortable hand position. But on a regular stem, on a regular frame, you might as well be riding a flat bar hybrid with bar ends.