Calling Tzusing!!

I know your plate is probably loaded, but today bold and I were discussing dream bikes, and decided you should create a sick steel touring frame, reminiscent of the cross check/soma double cross, with horizontal dropouts, canti studs and disc mounts, so as to provide as many options as possible, preferably with a classy straight blade fork.
slider dropouts would be quite favorable as well.
thoughts? think this could go into the works?

I think this is more a job for bikesdirect. They can probably order the same shit soma or surly has out of the same damn catalog and sell the frame for 300 shipped. Sliders would be the ultimate solution to the cross check/double cross problem.

whoever is willing to, though I’d love to see tzusing do it so I can support!

i’ve said it once and i’ll say it again
anyone who wants a cross check or double cross

http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Pake_Frame_Mute

the QBP prices are insanely cheap.

I want discs.

Now that I think about it, it would be cheaper to buy the pake, have someone INSTALL sliders and disc tabs on it and paint it whatever color than to buy the soma.

track ends with derailleur mounts and on-one style disc mounts, cheapest way to go amirite?

sliding dropouts are cool for some things, but they overall seem like such a hack and a lot of effort.

is there any reason not to just go with eccentric bottom bracket? it’s so elegant…

[quote=bombazine]sliding dropouts are cool for some things, but they overall seem like such a hack and a lot of effort.

is there any reason not to just go with eccentric bottom bracket? it’s so elegant…[/quote]

Yes, an eccentric bottom bracket changes the position of your legs relative to your pedals, and anyone who rides a lot can tell you that even a 1mm difference in seat height can make a huge difference. I think that an eccentric bottom bracket is ugly and ill-conceived, and that sliding dropouts are a time-tested (see Gios Compact) and elegant solution.

Check out the new Gary Fisher Presidio. I think I’m going to EP one and return my Scattante frame.

EBBs creak? I dunno I just want a double cross for less money, the On-one solution seems dope.

[quote=bonechilling][quote=bombazine]sliding dropouts are cool for some things, but they overall seem like such a hack and a lot of effort.

is there any reason not to just go with eccentric bottom bracket? it’s so elegant…[/quote]

Yes, an eccentric bottom bracket changes the position of your legs relative to your pedals, and anyone who rides a lot can tell you that even a 1mm difference in seat height can make a huge difference. I think that an eccentric bottom bracket is ugly and ill-conceived, and that sliding dropouts are a time-tested (see Gios Compact) and elegant solution.

Check out the new Gary Fisher Presidio. I think I’m going to EP one and return my Scattante frame.

[/quote]

that gary fisher is hot. my buddy is on the design team working on those.

That’s rad, he did a good job. I’m kind of bummed that they went to a sloping top tube, though.

Srsly, sloping tubes on cross bikes wtf?

franksonline. thanks for the heads up i appreciate it! But I need to get just one frame out first and will see. Sucks to have to be at other people’s mercy all the time.

cotic roadrat. It’s not as pretty as a bike with a horizontal top tube, but if it’s going to go offroad sometimes then standover height is a-ok by me.

[quote=bombazine]sliding dropouts are cool for some things, but they overall seem like such a hack and a lot of effort.

It’s okay, I prefer an EBB myself, and I catch alot of hate for it. All you suckers hate my balls.

And they don’t creak if you know what grease is.

[quote=bonechilling]

[/quote]

1mm? good lourdes…if we’re talking numbers like that, i don’t that kind of person could ever be happy on any singlespeed/fixed bike. how could you freak out about 1mm saddle difference, and not lose it over slightly longer/shorter chainstays?

[quote=kmcdon3960][quote=bombazine]sliding dropouts are cool for some things, but they overall seem like such a hack and a lot of effort.

It’s okay, I prefer an EBB myself, and I catch alot of hate for it. All you suckers hate my balls.

And they don’t creak if you know what grease is.[/quote]

they just slip. i am a light guy and even i have problems with slipping. i’m not sure i’ve met anyone who has a problem free ebb.

[quote=johnnypecans]cotic roadrat. It’s not as pretty as a bike with a horizontal top tube, but if it’s going to go offroad sometimes then standover height is a-ok by me.

[/quote]

wtf? non-trek brand bikes are now shipping with bontrager components? when did that happen?

You don’t really need a disc rear though. Just buy a disc fork.