chainring size

"I ride BMX bikes D-bag, you don’t know creativity. "

hahahaha what

Back to the original topic.
You have no real reason not to run smaller gearing other than you don’t like it and you can’t handle that other people like other stuff. the extra friction is negligable.

[quote=“Pushrodbrick”][quote=“tepr”]"I ride BMX bikes D-bag, you don’t know creativity. "

hahahaha what[/quote]

hop on one and youtube yourself, lets see how well you guys do.[/quote]
im an art major, LIKE YOU FUCKING KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CREATIVITY

Edit: two of us arguing about nothing on subject.
blah blah blah

[quote=“Pushrodbrick”][quote=“tepr”]
im an art major, LIKE YOU FUCKING KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CREATIVITY[/quote]

So because you’re an ART MAJOR means you make great art and have creativity?
HAHAHAHA.
Go post your art in the ART THREAD and lets see how shitty or how beautiful it is.
I’m all for good art. and I’m ok with being wrong too, when I’m wrong.[/quote]
lets see all the AWESOME BMX TRIXXXX youve invented Mr. Creative Bicycle Rider Man

seriously though, youre cool

edit: Still arguing about nothing.
Better yet, get the thread back on topic and start talking about gearing again.

mrcreativebmxrider person.
do you know what a radius is?
think about the difference in radius from the center of the spindle to the outside edge of the chainring.
now think about how that affects the angle of the chain.
now think how that more acute angle on a small ring might put greater pressure on your chainring, your chain and your bearings.
pressure = wear.
and roadbikes get many more miles than your silly “yea, you know BMX? they have 20” wheels and are meant to be jumped, wheelie’d, and all that good stuff?" bike.
so this will have a noticeable affect on chain wear.
when doing sprocket stalls or whatever you can do on your bmx bike it might not have much affect. but we don’t care about your silly looking creatively geared bmx bikes or your “creative” hardcore riding.
you suck.

[quote=“Pushrodbrick”]

O, 50% worse? you’ve run extensive tests on your chains and sprockets that show it wears 50% more or do you know anyone that has? oh you dont? oh ok.
I ride BMX bikes D-bag, you don’t know creativity.
(I love how you “kids” get bent cause someone has a different opinion, it’s hilarious)(and I say “kids” because there’s a certain type of person that never answer respectfully when someone doesn’t like what they like on every forum, I guess I found you pretty quick)

Just told you about the gearing, I’m going to run 12 and 13 out back and 36 up front, that’s enough gearing. I have extra sprockets and can get more, any size from 25-49, so I get gear to whatever I need.

Bunch of laaaaaaaame excuses

:bear:[/quote]

~50% more teeth ~50% more force on them. Yes it will wear faster. It’s not really a matter of opinion it’s a matter of fact. Super small cogs are usually louder, they do wear faster and they just don’t make much sense.

You sound like a fucking tool and you clearly lack the requisite intelligence for true creativity so do what the fuck you want.

yes i know what a radius is. and yes i know about “chain bind”.
In response to you not caring about what my bike looks like: Thats the great thing about bikes, cars, pretty much anything you can customize. Do what you want, I’ll do what I want.

[/quote]

~50% more teeth ~50% more force on them. Yes it will wear faster. It’s not really a matter of opinion it’s a matter of fact. Super small cogs are usually louder, they do wear faster and they just don’t make much sense.

You sound like a fucking tool and you clearly lack the prerequisite intelligence for true creativity so do what the fuck you want.[/quote]

No but really, I see your point about the extra wear, I agree to a point that it will wear faster but I don’t think you would be able to measure it. Like I said, I’ve run small gears before, they’re not loud.
I see, I’m the tool because I responded to “small gears are re tarded”. Gotcha.
Trust me this is loads of fun.
and just like the post I made before to the other weenie, you do what to want, i’ll do what I want.
Do you think you guys looks smart when you swear and call people names?

I ran 52x16 for a while on the hills here in Cincinnati, and believe me, boy do you get strong.

[quote=“Pushrodbrick”]
uh… my BMX has more miles on it than your road bike[/quote]

Thats a pretty bold statement against a forum of bike nerds who all pretty much live on our bikes.

[quote=“danger_scott”][quote=“Pushrodbrick”]

Thats a pretty bold statement against a forum of bike nerds who all pretty much live on our bikes.[/quote]

lol. no shit.

lulzzz

so this was already posted in this thread, but apparently nobody read it.

http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

[quote=“danger_scott”][quote=“Pushrodbrick”]

Thats a pretty bold statement against a forum of bike nerds who all pretty much live on our bikes.[/quote]

What makes you think I didn’t live on my bike before I got on this forum.
I’ve been riding my BMX bike everywhere before I got a road bike.
I’ve ridden just as much as you guys.

I saw the sheldon brown thing. I know he is(was) one of the informational people out there. But his gearing size pros and cons are still based on opinion not any MEASURABLE tests.
Fuck, someone do a test; one bike large-gearing 3:1 ratio, and smalls gears in the same 3:1 ratio.
See which application requires more wattage to spin. Then we can all shut up.
So I’m going to run 36-12, you can run your 54-18
Maybe we can do something like those Castrol commericals, spin for 5000 miles and see whos chain wears down first?

[quote=“Pushrodbrick”][quote=“danger_scott”][quote=“Pushrodbrick”]

What makes you think I didn’t live on my bike before I got on this forum.
I’ve been riding my BMX bike everywhere before I got a road bike.
I’ve ridden just as much as you guys. or more.

I saw the sheldon brown thing. I know he is(was) one of the informational people out there. But his gearing size pros and cons are still based on opinion not any MEASURABLE tests.
[/quote]

First off. Its not that you don’t ride your bike. Its the claim that you ride more than us and are somehow more hardcore than us. I rode a BMX all through high school and middle school and have been on some kind of bike since I was old enough to ride. I don’t doubt that you have done the exact same.
The issue with your statement is the “or more” its like you are trying to whip your dick and are trying to see who’s is bigger. You may ride more than me, thats probably true since I am trying to finish up college and don’t have a lot of free time. But your attitude of “I am more hardcore” is very childish and unnecessary here.

Second. Even if you have ridden more then me that doesn’t make you an expert. I have ridden bikes a lot longer than my brother but he knows way more because he works at a shop.

Third. Sheldon Brown was working on and riding bikes for longer than most of us have been alive. The man wasn’t making opinions but better yet observations of what he has seen as working as wrench for so many years. He didn’t start that site to post opinions he had. He posted facts, things he has observed and therefore proven over time. I am pretty sure if he was still alive today he would love to tell you about all the bikes he has worked on that would prove his point.
Also Sheldon has proven himself time and time again to be truthful. I have NEVER found information on his site to be false. When something has a batting average has high as he does, you can take what he says to generally be legit.

So quit trying to compare dicks, calm down and have a nice day.
:bear:

[quote=“danger_scott”]
First off. Its not that you don’t ride your bike. Its the claim that you ride more than us and are somehow more hardcore than us. I rode a BMX all through high school and middle school and have been on some kind of bike since I was old enough to ride. I don’t doubt that you have done the exact same.
The issue with your statement is the “or more” its like you are trying to whip your dick and are trying to see who’s is bigger. You may ride more than me, thats probably true since I am trying to finish up college and don’t have a lot of free time. But your attitude of “I am more hardcore” is very childish and unnecessary here.

Second. Even if you have ridden more then me that doesn’t make you an expert. I have ridden bikes a lot longer than my brother but he knows way more because he works at a shop.

Third. Sheldon Brown was working on and riding bikes for longer than most of us have been alive. The man wasn’t making opinions but better yet observations of what he has seen as working as wrench for so many years. He didn’t start that site to post opinions he had. He posted facts, things he has observed and therefore proven over time. I am pretty sure if he was still alive today he would love to tell you about all the bikes he has worked on that would prove his point.
Also Sheldon has proven himself time and time again to be truthful. I have NEVER found information on his site to be false. When something has a batting average has high as he does, you can take what he says to generally be legit.

1. I never CLAIMED I rode my bike more until you guys told me I didn’t, then I let you know that actually I do. Never claimed to be hardcore, that was the “Art Major”.

2.“Or more” statement goes along with #1, I never claimed to ride more until you guys attacked how much I rode or not. Blame this guy —> (l)
I’ve ridden just as long as my brother and he’s worked at a bike shop for 10 years, I probably know just as much as him? it has alot to do with me being there all the time and working there sometimes too. It’s also due to the fact that I read alot and my brother doesn’t, which goes to show, you don’t need to work at a shop to know bikes.

1. I wish sheldon were still here, because he could A. prove me wrong or B. Be the nice guy that he was prove me wrong and still tell me “do what you want”. I’m assuming by the kind of guy he was he’d probably pick the latter with a big smile. I also never said his stuff was FALSE. I said I want evidence that can be MEASURED.
    Less sprockets = less weight + more friction
    big sprockets = more weight, less friction
    so where’s the fine line of perfect gearing where the weight and the friction are at their best?
    And are you always going to do just what is tried and true, or read a passage from the Sheldon-Bible(I’m really not trying to be a dick I swear), or maybe try something different? and not do what everyone else is doing?
    I’m having an awesome day, there was a great earthquake earlier.
    I agree, please everyone, dicks aside.
    I like how this whole thing started just cause some guy doesn’t think small gears look good on his bike.

So like before, I’ll be running 36-12. What are you going to run

wow dude. chill the fuck out. did you not read a single post on here before asking our opinion on chainrings? we talk shit here. i told you that i thought small rings look retarded and you flipped out. it’s my opinion that small chainrings don’t have the track bike aesthetic that i personally like. i rode a 36t on the first bike i built and couldn’t stand the way it looked and never being able to find small enough cogs in my LBSs. i never said you were re tarded for using a smaller ring, it’s just disadvantageous in enough ways to have convinced track riders since the dawn of the velodrome to use bigger rings. if you didn’t care what those reasons were, why did you ask?

[quote=“Pushrodbrick”][quote=“danger_scott”]

1. I never CLAIMED I rode my bike more until you guys told me I didn’t, then I let you know that actually I do. Never claimed to be hardcore, that was the “Art Major”.

2.“Or more” statement goes along with #1, I never claimed to ride more until you guys attacked how much I rode or not. Blame this guy —> (l)
I’ve ridden just as long as my brother and he’s worked at a bike shop for 10 years, I probably know just as much as him? it has alot to do with me being there all the time and working there sometimes too. It’s also due to the fact that I read alot and my brother doesn’t, which goes to show, you don’t need to work at a shop to know bikes.

1. I wish sheldon were still here, because he could A. prove me wrong or B. Be the nice guy that he was prove me wrong and still tell me “do what you want”. I’m assuming by the kind of guy he was he’d probably pick the latter with a big smile. I also never said his stuff was FALSE. I said I want evidence that can be MEASURED.
    Less sprockets = less weight + more friction
    big sprockets = more weight, less friction
    so where’s the fine line of perfect gearing where the weight and the friction are at their best?
    And are you always going to do just what is tried and true, or read a passage from the Sheldon-Bible(I’m really not trying to be a dick I swear), or maybe try something different? and not do what everyone else is doing?
    I’m having an awesome day, there was a great earthquake earlier.
    I agree, please everyone, dicks aside.
    I like how this whole thing started just cause some guy doesn’t think small gears look good on his bike.

So like before, I’ll be running 36-12. What are you going to run[/quote]

I don’t feel like typing a lot so…
I hate you.