chainring size

so, i ordered some miche primato cranks from bikeisland( the 135 bcd primatos, and to my surprise i got some miche advanced cranks in the mail :bear: ), but they came with a 49 tooth chainring. is there a disadvantage to running a larger chainring and cog for street use. should i get a smaller chainring or just say fuck it. sorry if this is a stupid question.

Depends - is 49 your lucky number

what is your rear cog?

is there a disadvantage to having a larger cock? no.

i’m running 49/18. the gear inches are fine, so i guess i don’t really know what i’m asking, exactly.

Really the only disadvantage is that you can’t ever lighten up your ratio for any reason, because anything above 19 teeth is sorta rough to come by. but why would you lighten up the ratio anyways, not very :bear:

I disagree…

http://www.thebikebiz.com/product_p/trk-cog-phil01.htm

22 tooth in stock.

[quote=“TehScientist”]I disagree…

http://www.thebikebiz.com/product_p/trk-cog-phil01.htm

22 tooth in stock.[/quote]

Curses! bested again…impressive, the biggest i’ve ever seen was a 20! I suppose I could argue that $40 is somewhat expensive…but considering the cost of an EAI I will refrain.

I want that 22 tooth cog for a polo bike now.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/121_333222 ... Tooth.html
http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

scroll down to “big or small?”

^ thanks.

52/17. Real men run it big.

I’m running 54/20 and im going down to 36/12 on the new bike i’m building.
I’d rather have the smaller gears to have less links on my chain.

[quote=“Pushrodbrick”]I’m running 54/20 and im going down to 36/12 on the new bike i’m building.
I’d rather have the smaller gears to have less links on my chain.[/quote]

Small chainrings look re tarded.

seriously though…why do you need such a short chain?

[quote=“aek”][quote=“Pushrodbrick”]I’m running 54/20 and im going down to 36/12 on the new bike i’m building.
I’d rather have the smaller gears to have less links on my chain.[/quote]

Small chainrings look re tarded.

seriously though…why do you need such a short chain?[/quote]

eh, each his own.
I come from a different background.
I ran 44-16 when I first started riding BMX when I was 12
Slowly over the years, technology got better, Cassettes got stronger.
And now in the BMX world, pretty common gear combinations are usually 25-9 (I run 22-9 for freecoaster reasons), they go as small as 18-8. All the ratios are pretty close.
There’s no drawback, I don’t break chains anymore than I did before…
So why wouldn’t I apply this same concept to a fixed bike? Other than it’s “retarted”.
I lose weight because I use 1/3 less chain, less sprockets, less weight spinning around.
So to me, it sounds like a good idea, and I think it looks cleaner with smaller sprockets.
so back at you:
why do I need a sprocket that’s the size of a large pizza? when a xtrasmall will do me just fine?

[quote=“Pushrodbrick”]
why do I need a sprocket that’s the size of a large pizza? when a xtrasmall will do me just fine?[/quote]

more teeth to wear
less stress on the chain(less likely to break/wears slower)
less stress on each tooth(so they last longer)
easier to change gearing by just switching a cog
12T cogs are not exactly common
Can’t use a normal lockring
Fewer crank option.
I’m sure there are some more reasons

54/20 -> 36/12? What do you have against moderation?

dutret FTW

it doesn’t hurt that he’s so handsome!

[quote]more teeth to wear[/quote] You think an extra 15 of them are going to do that much for you? if your teeth on your sprockets are wearing out that fast, then your chain is not meshing well with your sprocket, Solution: buy better quality parts or a chain with a thinner profile.

[quote]less stress on the chain(less likely to break/wears slower)[/quote] You can ride my BMX with 23-9 gearing and 175mm cranks, I’ll LET you try and break the chain. you won’t, if you can’t do it there, you won’t be able to on my road bike.

See my first answer

I’m running 13 and 12 teeth, respectively, on my wheel so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

http://www.philwood.com/Track%20Cogs.htm Phil Wood makes a 12 tooth

you can order the phil wood from harris cyclery http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-sprockets.html
or buy a Soma Fab Cog and buy it directly from them.
So that’s two options right there searched in under five minutes. They seem common enough.
I bet I could go have one made at my friends machine shop if I HAD to, too.

"Note, most standard track lock rings won’t work with a 12 tooth sprocket, because the chain will bump into the edge of the lockring.

Most don’t fit, if it doesn’t fit, i’ll take it to the machine shop and make it fit. So that’s not a problem either. Kinda a weak excuse not to drop down gear sizes.

I’m running Profile BMX racing cranks so I don’t have a BCD. but lets say I was going to buy different cranks. Buy compacts(110 BCD?) and then it won’t matter.

Well think up some more reasons.

I don’t have anything against moderation if this had anything to do with moderation but it doesn’t.
You didn’t like how it looked. I do. You made some great points. and I think I answer all of them with great responses.
gearing = another way to be creative, afterall, we all don’t want to have the same bike now do we.

[quote=“Pushrodbrick”]
I don’t have anything against moderation if this had anything to do with moderation but it doesn’t.
You didn’t like how it looked. I do. You made some great points. and I think I answer all of them with great responses.
gearing = another way to be creative, afterall, we all don’t want to have the same bike now do we.[/quote]

It seems like you do going from huge to tiny. Your answers more of less ignore the issues of wear which will be about 50% worse with the small set up. If being different for the sake of being different is the extent of your creativity I truly pity you. Why don’t you ride a fucking unicycle or something. I never really gave a thought to how it would look because I don’t really give a shit.

It gives you less choice of gearing because you can not go larger and because a single tooth will cause a much larger change in gearing.

Also it will be much louder.

[quote=“dutret”]
It seems like you do going from huge to tiny. Your answers more of less ignore the issues of wear which will be about 50% worse with the small set up. If being different for the sake of being different is the extent of your creativity I truly pity you. Why don’t you ride a fucking unicycle or something. I never really gave a thought to how it would look because I don’t really give a shit.

It gives you less choice of gearing because you can not go larger and because a single tooth will cause a much larger change in gearing.

Also it will be much louder.[/quote]

Edit:
[I think I was super bent this day when we had this conversation, and then shot my mouth off about creativity]

Just told you about the gearing, I’m going to run 12 and 13 out back and 36 up front, that’s enough gearing. I have extra sprockets and can get more, any size from 25-49, so I get gear to whatever I need.

hey guess what! I CAN ride a unicycle. one more thing you probably can’t do.
You obviously DO give a shit, if you’re sitting here telling me small gearing looks re tarded remember?
My chain won’t be any louder than it was before.