City Bike

So I brought my pretty little tarck bike out from Portland with me, got some heavy duty chains, and I’ve been riding around for a few weeks. The traffic isn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but I’m finding that riding an aluminum frame on these streets sucks, and I just get super nervous leaving my bike locked up. Even though I’ve spent a good year building up my perfect bike, I’m considering selling it to buy one better suited to city riding that I can beat the shit out of and not worry about locking up.

what I have now:
blue GTB frame
black phils to yellow deep Vs
Sugino 75s
Suntour Superbe seatpost
Turbo saddle
etc etc

I figure I can get some good money out of it, but I don’t really know what to replace it with. Basically I want something that isn’t flashy, but can ride through potholes without a problem. I was thinking of a steamroller or something like that, but I figured you guys would have some good suggestions.

You should put it on eBay for $7000 and call it a show bike.

Then I’ll just get e-mails from those assholes at tarckbike.

“FUCK YOU AND YOU’RE STOOPID BIKE”

Do they sell those on bikes direct? Can I put waterbottle cages on it?

Alien frame, open pros to formulas, or suzue’s. If you can lace wheels or want to pay to have em laced, lace a rear surly or suzue and a front road wheel so you can pull off the front wheel and lock both wheels and the frame to a lock. Keep the 75’s if you want to part the GT, or buy some andels.

There a shitload of way hotter rides getting locked up here in the city, no offense… but you have nothing to worry about.

I rode an Alu frame for about 5 months before I broke it (Cannondale Optimo tubing + mess work + fat rider = bad) and honestly the ride wasn’t bad. get a cushioned saddle and you’ll be fine. Sure you’ll feel more vibrations, its gonna happen cause its Alu, can’t help that. Once you get to know the city more the streets are in reality not that bad at all and I believe the NYCDOT is working on repaving pretty much every fucked up street as they have taken care of some of the real fucked up ones already.

I wouldn’t sell the GTB, however if you do… what size is it so I can buy it.

a steamroller, or the bikeisland jury frameset. those look rugged and cheap

[quote=“Tbirdbassist”]There a shitload of way hotter rides getting locked up here in the city, no offense… but you have nothing to worry about.

I rode an Alu frame for about 5 months before I broke it (Cannondale Optimo tubing + mess work + fat rider = bad) and honestly the ride wasn’t bad. get a cushioned saddle and you’ll be fine. Sure you’ll feel more vibrations, its gonna happen cause its Alu, can’t help that. Once you get to know the city more the streets are in reality not that bad at all and I believe the NYCDOT is working on repaving pretty much every fucked up street as they have taken care of some of the real fucked up ones already.

I wouldn’t sell the GTB, however if you do… what size is it so I can buy it.[/quote]

Oh I know, I’m not being narcissistic, I saw some michael bolton clone freewheeling with a front brake on a vigorelli with a Rev-X and an aerospoke (and no foot retention) today. I’m just a compulsive worrier. I’m not selling right away, just trying to get an idea of the more burly bikes out there. And its a 60cm, the only blue one in existence, if my sources are correct. (now I’m being narcissistic)