Clamp-on brakes for undrilled frame/fork

I have a frame that is undrilled for brakes, but I think I definitely want to put on some brakes for a tour I’m doing in the summer. Anyone have any experience with these clamp-on Dia-Compe brakes and can attest to their sturdiness?

they work fine
eat dicks
only pussies ride with brakes
fuckin noob

I am baffled by how frequently the words track bike and touring have been coming lately.

Also, if you plan on carrying much and your route involves any hills you are going to want a second brake.

What ever you do DON’T drill it for brakes!!! and yeah fuck off and eat a dick

Don’t drill it for brakes? Will that hurt it?

Consider a clamp on rack of some sort as well. You wont want to be hauling a mess beg around like that.

It might be worth your while to consider a second fork, one that will accommodate a brake and eyelets.

Oh, right. Also, the dicks - eat them.

yes!!! However, it is more emotional than physical pain :bear:

i can’t conceive of real touring on a fixed gear bike. that sounds incredibly masochistic.

“real touring”
weekend trips are fun. 600km is doable, especially if you’re somewhere flat. I can see myself doing that and not being in a ton of pain.

doing this trip this summer i think, fixed.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Malmö,+Sverige&daddr=helsingborg+to:helsingør+to:København,+Denmark+to:Malmö,+Sverige&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=55.773483,13.139648&sspn=0.641108,2.598267&ie=UTF8&ll=55.798193,13.167114&spn=1.2814,5.196533&z=8

clamp on rear rack or a front basket will do you nice. don’t have too much weight in the messenger pack.

It’s the only bike I have. And yeah I do plan on having two brakes. NJS sells both the front and rear clamp-on brakes, my main concern is how sturdy they’ll be. My route will be Vancouver to San Diego, so it will be pretty hilly in some spots.

[quote=bold]“real touring”
weekend trips are fun. 600km is doable, especially if you’re somewhere flat. I can see myself doing that and not being in a ton of pain.

doing this trip this summer i think, fixed.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Malmö,+Sverige&daddr=helsingborg+to:helsingør+to:København,+Denmark+to:Malmö,+Sverige&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=55.773483,13.139648&sspn=0.641108,2.598267&ie=UTF8&ll=55.798193,13.167114&spn=1.2814,5.196533&z=8

clamp on rear rack or a front basket will do you nice. don’t have too much weight in the messenger pack.[/quote]

Yeah I’m currently looking for a clamp on rear rack. If you have any recommendations on how to do it I could use it. I was thinking just using P-clips like these: http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Rack-Delta-Parts-Clamps/dp/B000BMRQE0

dude, you’re gonna die!

dude you are so underprepared for doing this fixed if you’re not gonna be supported. You’re gonna hate that trip. I’ve done the hilly parts, and I can tell you that you don’t want to do them fixed. Randonneuring fixed i can understand, but this sounds retarded.

Go for it, but have a bail out plan ready. My guess is you are going to want it.

You are going to need a really small gear to make those hills with any weight on the bike, so be prepared for the downhills to be almost as painful as going up. I am not at all clear on how a track frame will handle with much weight on it. My guess is that it is going to be squirrely as hell. Make sure you take a longish loaded test ride before you do it for real.

i’d do it with a double, a dingle, and a free wheel. If you’re gonna take the 1, which is the most beautiful stretch of coast, it’s going to be constant up and downs.

Touring fixed: funny, not so bright, challenging, masochistic
Touring on an NJS Panasonic track frame with no clearance and not drilled for brakes: ???

I’m going to try to be nice and not fill in the blanks.

QFT

Get a bike with gears! it if you really want to make the whole trip it is worth it in the long run!

[quote=halbritt]Touring fixed: funny, not so bright, challenging, masochistic
Touring on an NJS Panasonic track frame with no clearance and not drilled for brakes: ???

I’m going to try to be nice and not fill in the blanks.[/quote]

That bike in the picture isn’t even mine, its off the NJS website.

I am going to guess that the bike in question is an Ailene frame … I would still want gears!