Clamp-on brakes for undrilled frame/fork

fuck the haters, do this shit blindfolded

on a Green Machine

ch-ch-chug-ch-ch-chug-ch-ch-chug-ch-ch-eeeyu
ch-ch-chug-ch-ch-chug-ch-ch-chug-ch-ch-awwwn

Wait, if the fork crown is so delicate that it can’t handle the stresses of having a brake bolted through it, why do you assume that it will accept the forces applied from a brake through the fork legs and into the crown? I can understand the fear of the bolt hole removing too much material and therefore weakening the crown, but speaking purely about the braking forces, if the brake were connected to the fork legs below the crown, the distance from the applied force to the possible fulcrum (connection between crown and steer tube) would be greater than with a brake bolted directly to the crown. Hence, the moment of force would be greater on your thin fork crown with a clamped on brake.

Bone, not an attack on you, ride your bike however the hell you want, just a rhetorical attack on the logic of using clamped on brakes to protect undrilled fork crowns.

I know a guy who toured around Australia on an aluminium track bike using only a backpack, unsupported, riding 85gi. all you haters suck his balls.

You can also eat soup with a shovel. A spoon works better, however.

this guy gets me

[quote=TimArchy]Wait, if the fork crown is so delicate that it can’t handle the stresses of having a brake bolted through it, why do you assume that it will accept the forces applied from a brake through the fork legs and into the crown? I can understand the fear of the bolt hole removing too much material and therefore weakening the crown, but speaking purely about the braking forces, if the brake were connected to the fork legs below the crown, the distance from the applied force to the possible fulcrum (connection between crown and steer tube) would be greater than with a brake bolted directly to the crown. Hence, the moment of force would be greater on your thin fork crown with a clamped on brake.

Bone, not an attack on you, ride your bike however the hell you want, just a rhetorical attack on the logic of using clamped on brakes to protect undrilled fork crowns.[/quote]

I guess I wasn’t clear, but what I meant was that removing material from a thin and narrow crown and then applying huge loads of force directly to that spot may not be the best way to ensure the longevity or safety of that fork.

Get a new fork. Leave your current fork at home. I’m hoping to get to do this same ride in June, and I will not be doing it without a triple crankset, a 9-speed cassette and 35mm+ tires.

If you’re going to do this on a track bike, I’d recommend getting a good pair of walking shoes, since you will probably be doing quite a bit of that.